Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Top Ten Books of 2010

Since 2011 is still only just beginning, I thought it would be good to post my top ten list of books read in 2010.  It was a year of paranormal romance *shudders* and dystopias, but I managed to find some other awesome books (not that dystopias aren't awesome).  Does not include rereads.

10. Percy Jackson and the Olympians #4: The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan (fantasy)

This was by far my favorite of the series, although that probably has something to do with the mentions of the story of Icarus and that other guy who I can't spell his name.  For some reason that story intrigues me.







9. Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment by James Patterson (science fiction)

I started reading this series over the summer, and I practically inhaled this first book.  It was exciting, fresh, and funny.  Then, however, I read the next few, and it just went downhill from there.  I was rolling my eyes at all the global warming junk in the third one, and I didn't like the fourth at all.  The fifth...I won't even go there.  That being said, the first is amazing.

 8. Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (dystopia)

I discovered Scott Westerfeld's books this year, and this one is the best so far.  I love it when dystopias give me an eerie "Whoa, this could happen to us" feeling, and this one was awesome.  It had great themes, too, about how looks mean nothing.  Yay for non-conformity books!





7. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling (fantasy)

Yes, this is the first year I've actually read this series.  The first one is actually my favorite, but I finished that before 2010 started.  I like this one because things have gotten more intense and Voldemort is gaining power, but Harry hasn't quite started to get all depressed and self-sacrificing yet.  





6. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tokein (fantasy)

It's the first LOTR book.  Do I need to say any more?  This is the definition of epic.







5. Lies by Michael Grant (science fiction)

Wow.  This is even better than the first two, and I love how Astrid looks really angry on the cover.  The characters are awesome, the plot is exciting...and who doesn't want a power like Dekka's?  My only complaint is that Plague isn't out yet.  That's annoying.



4. Artemis Fowl: The Atlantis Complex by Eoin Colfer (science fiction/fantasy/I think this series should get its own genre)

It's Artemis Fowl, and he's back!  Yay!  Again, I don't even think anything needs to be said about this one.  I love how Eoin Colfer made all of Arty's sentences divisible by five.  That must've taken work.





3. The Maze Runner by James Dashner (dystopia)

Another dystopia!  This stood out above all the others for its creativeness and intensity.  What I really don't like is that a move for this is planned.  Don't ruin it for us!




2. Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (dystopia/steampunk)

With a cover like that, how can you dislike this book?  This was my first steampunk book, actually (if you don't know what that is...well, it's one of those things that you have to read it in order to know what it is.  I can't explain it.).  I love the blend of past and present.  But sadly, this book is also going to be a movie.  Taylor Lautner isn't a good choice to play Finn.




1. Thirteen Days to Midnight by Patrick Carman (paranormal/some might call this horror, but I disagree)

I've read a lot of book this past year, but this one is far above them all.  Awesome, awesome, and more awesome.  And slightly creepy, and really exciting.  I think part of why I really connected with this was because I loved how the author perfectly captured what it's like to have gone to the same tiny Catholic school with the same 15 students since kindergarten.  Plus the main characters were actually unique and likable, and the Houdini thing was a nice touch.  You are indestructible. 


That's it for 2010!  I wonder what will be on the list for 2011...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...