Monday, January 10, 2011

Wildwing by Emily Whitman

          When Addy is swept back in time, she couldn't be happier to leave her miser-able life behind. Now she's mistaken for Lady Matilda, the pampered ward of the king. If Addy can play her part, she'll have glorious gowns, jewels, and something she's always longed for—the respect and admiration of others. But then she meets Will, the falconer's son with sky blue eyes, who unsettles all her plans.

From shipwrecks to castle dungeons, from betrothals to hidden conspiracies, Addy finds herself in a world where she's not the only one with a dangerous secret. When she discovers the truth, Addy must take matters into her own hands. The stakes? Her chance at true love . . . and the life she's meant to live.

First Look: ****This was another free book won in an Inkpop writing challenge.  I like the cover, the pitch is good, but the overdone description in the excerpt on the back of the jacket made me roll my eyes.

Setting:
***** Awesome!  I love medieval settings, and even I could tell that the author did her homework here.  It helps that any story set in a castle automatically boosts up the ranking for me.  And I loved the fact that the book was a historical fiction within a historical fiction.  It started in the early 1900s, then went back in time.
Characters: **** Addy’s characterization seemed inconsistent at times.  The character who I really connected with was Will, but I felt like the author was a little too in love with him herself.
Plot: **** I love stories about time travel, otherwise this would’ve been closer to a 3.  The plot was well-paced and believable, but it got very predictable at times.  Then again, it was a time travel book, so I was able to overlook that.
Writing: **** It was nothing unique, but the voice was consistent and strong.

Likes: Yay for medieval castles and time travel!  Also another yay for books that would appeal to romance readers, yet don’t make non-romance people (like me) cringe.  And it had falconers in it, which is awesome, because, well…it’s just awesome.

Not-so-great: Why does it seem like there’s always a castle worker named Oswald?  Seriously!  What is it with naming people Oswald?  I don’t get it. 

Cliché-ness:
**** The story of a girl who’s pretending to be royalty has been done a few times, but it was good other than the predictability.

Total Score: **** Overall, this is a pretty good read.  I’d recommend it to anyone who likes time travel stories, or medieval stories, or is looking for some lighter science fiction/fantasy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...