Friday, March 25, 2011

Childhood Favorites

Today I thought I’d share a few of the books I loved when I was younger.  I was reading these books when I was around second, third, fourth grade probably (the pre-Eragon days).  You don’t want to know how many times I reread some of these.  I should have just bought them.  Here goes, in no particular order:

Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile, Egypt, 57 B.C. (The Royal Diaries)Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile (Royal Diaries) by Kristiana Gregory (historical fiction)
I read this over and over.  I’m not sure what I found so awesome about it.  Probably something to do with the fact that I want to visit Ancient Egypt.  Even then, I liked court intrigue in books.  Ha.









The Black Stallion (Black Stallion Series, Book 1) 


The Black Stallion by Walter Farley (realistic fiction)
You’ve probably heard of this book.  Or seen the movie.  The movie doesn’t even begin to do this book justice.  I love horses, and this is a great survival story about a boy and a horse.  They help each other and become friends.  The main reason I loved this was probably because of the horse, Black.  He’s the kind of horse I dreamed of (wait…past tense?  Ha, I still do!): big, handsome, black, smart, and wild.  And the rest of the series is great, too.





Knights and Castles: A Companion to The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House Rsrch Gdes(R))Knights and Castles (Magic Tree House Research Guide) by a few people
This is nonfiction.  Why did I love it?  That has everything to do with my wish that I could have a time machine so I could go back and live in medieval times.  Seriously.  And then there’s that one page in the middle.  I particularly liked it because it had a picture of a girl that looked eerily liked me, surrounded by all kinds of signs that read “Annie for president!”.  Open the book to that page a few times, then suddenly you’ve got a book that opens to the exact same spot every time you pick it up.  Awesome, right?

Molly Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls Collection) 





Molly Saves the Day by Valerie Tripp (historical fiction)
The reason I loved this book was because it was basically one big game of capture the flag.  I’m not sure why I find that game so interesting.  If I could play capture the flag Camp Half-Blood style, I would in a heartbeat.  And Molly just looks so much like I used to.





Kaya's Escape!Kaya’s Escape by Janet Beeler Shaw (historical fiction)
It’s got Native Americans.  An escape.  A horse (and an Appaloosa, at that!).  Need I say any more?  I have the doll version of that horse, by the way.  I will get that horse in real life someday.










Anastasia: The Last Grand Duchess--Russia 1914 (Royal Diaries (Audio)) 
Anastasia: The Last Grand Duchess by Carolyn Meyer (you guessed it...historical fiction)
I love the story of Anastasia.  I don't know why.  I guess I watched the cartoon movie when I was really young and loved it, and it just kept going from there.  So naturally I liked this book.  It's actually very historically accurate.










Haunted Castle on Hallow's Eve (Magic Tree House, #30) Haunted Castle on Hallow’s Eve (Magic Tree House #30) by Mary Pope Osborne (fantasy)
This is about as epic as you could get when I was this age.  Combine adventure, awesome characters, a magic tree house, some books, and a healthy dose of Arthurian legend.  What do you get?  Magic Tree House!  This book is by far the highlight of the series.  The Arthurian aspect of it has started to really come into play.  Plus, it’s set in a medieval castle.  With ravens.  I’ve probably read this book more times than Randy Jackson has used the word dawg on this season of American Idol.

Last but certainly not least.  I need to read this book again.   I've probably forgotten others that deserve mention, but...oh well.

Over to you, Oh Blog Followers of Awesomeness.  What were some of your childhood favorites?



1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! The memories! I LOVED the American Girl books, the Dear Diary books, and The Royal Diary ones too. Obsessed. And pre-teen years, I was obsessed with A Series of Unfortunate Events. Now I need to go dig out my old books!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...