Sunday, March 6, 2011

Thank You, Captain Obvious

Today's writing post concerns something that you think would be obvious, but obviously it isn't: stating the obvious.

What do I mean by this?  Well, if something is obvious in your writing, there's no need to say it!

Examples:
"Her heart pounded in her chest."  No duh.  This drives me nuts when I see this.  Where else would your heart pound?  In your foot?  Unless you've got Jack Sparrow's jar of dirt, that is...
For a less wordy sentence that's just as powerful, try "Her heart pounded."

Are you getting my point?  Here's another example.
"I waved with my hand."  No way!  What else would you wave with?

"She blinked her eye."  Again, she used her eye?  Good to know!

So basically all I'm trying to get across here is this: if your readers will know perfectly well what you are talking about without the extra words...cut them out.  Less is always more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...