Saturday, April 23, 2011

Pegasus by Robin Mckinley

PegasusA gorgeously written fantasy about the friendship between a princess and her Pegasus.

Because of a thousand-year-old alliance between humans and pagasi, Princess Sylviianel is ceremonially bound to Ebon, her own Pegasus, on her twelfth birthday. The two species coexist peacefully, despite the language barriers separating them. Humans and pegasi both rely on specially-trained Speaker magicians as the only means of real communication.

But it's different for Sylvi and Ebon. They can understand each other. They quickly grow close-so close that their bond becomes a threat to the status quo-and possibly to the future safety of their two nations.

New York Times bestselling Robin McKinley weaves an unforgettable tale of unbreakable friendship, mythical creatures and courtly drama destined to become a classic.

First Look: *****  This cover is so pretty!  I love it.  But I guess you can't judge a book by its cover...

Setting: *****  
It was alright. I didn't really care one way or another for it.

Characters: *****  
I didn't care about Sylvi at all. The only thing that made her likable was that she was short (something I can relate to). Other than that, the characters were all bland and flat. There was nothing to make me care about them.  The only one that had a personality was Ebon.  My problem with him was that he acted too much like a human, when he's a pegasus.  And I'm sorry, but I can't take an evil magician seriously with a name like Fthoom (What was he up to anyway?  Everyone was scared of him, but he never did anything).

Plot: *****  
Um...what plot?  Nothing really happened in this book.  I could never figure out if there was an actual conflict.  There was absolutely no action whatsoever, and it was unbelievably slow.  So big scary mythological monsters were sighted near the borders?  Whoa!  Wait...nobody cares.  Seriously, instead they're too focused on the princess' visit to pegasus lands.  And Sylvi couldn't talk to the pegasi...then she could...then she couldn't?  I could never figure it out.  It seemed to switch. 

Uniqueness: *****
The idea of nobles being "bound" to pegasi was interesting. Too bad the rest of the book was disappointing. 

Writing: ***** 
The first seventy pages or so was one big infodump. My brain couldn't keep up with it, and it just wasn't interesting.  Many sentences were phrased weirdly, and I could've done with half the description.  It bogged me down.  Words were repeated in the same sentence, making it flow awkwardly.  Once and awhile I'd find a creative description, but the rest just got dull for me.

Likes:
The cover.  That's about it.

Not-so-great:
More than I'll mention here. I couldn't pronounce many of the names.  A minor character would be introduced, and then they wouldn't be seen for another two hundred pages.  When they reappeared, the author just assumed I remembered them.  Also, there were a few characters and some pegasi things that were never introduced at all.  And the pegasi had weak, frail hands...but they made paper, and they sculpted things?  What?  And what does a pegasus use paper for anyway?  It can't be possible for an equine creature to kneel.  And the big thing was that there was no conflict.  The bad guy wasn't evil.  The MC was scared of everything.  And more. 

Total Score: ***** 
I'm glad I'm done with this book.  Then again, I might be more harsh on this than usual, just because I just recently read another book I didn't like, and I'm getting tired of them. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. I was constantly checking the page count as I read this. There was no conflict at all. Parts of it didn't add up. The characters were either flat or just plain confusing. Think beyond the cool cover before you pick this up.

2 comments:

  1. Phew! I'm glad I read your review. I had heard so-so things about it, but never picked it up because it didn't really interest me. Now I'm just going to skip it for sure. haha! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Evie! Glad to hear I'm doing some good with these reviews.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...