Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Everafter by Amy Huntley

The EverafterMadison Stanton doesn't know where she is or how she got there. But she does know this - she is dead. And alone in a vast, dark space. The only company Maddy has in this place are luminescent objects that turn out to be all the things she lost while she was alive. And soon she discovers that, with these artifacts, she can reexperience - and even change - moments from her life.

Her first kiss.
A trip to Disney World.
Her sister's wedding.
A disastrous sleepover.


In reliving these moments, Maddy learns illuminating and frightening truths about her life - and death.
First Look: ***** This was another book won in an Inkpop Weekly Challenge (wow, I love those).  I like the cover.  After all, it's purple and slightly creepy!  And the premise sounded amazing.

Setting: ***** 
If you can even call it a setting.  It's more like a plane of existence or something.  Whatever it was, it was very cool, and amazingly well-described.

Characters: ****
I liked the characters. I liked how Maddy got to look into her life from after it happened, which gave interesting insights on her personality.  Dead people don't quite see the world in the same way we do.  Sandra was a great best friend, and Tammy was just so interesting.  Gabe, her boyfriend, was actually kind of flat, though.  I didn't like him at all.

Plot: *****  
It wasn't a pageturner, but I loved how it was put together. It's not often that you read a story that doesn't happen in chronological order.  I didn't think it would work out very well, but I was pleasantly surprised.  I love the idea of taking a second look at her life through the objects she lost while she was alive.  It was also fun to get a look at every age, from infancy to seventeen.  And how she died...wow, didn't see that coming!

Uniqueness: *****
There's probably nothing out there quite like this.

Writing: *****  
It was awesome. The whole thing had a nice poetic feel to it. I especially like the prose in the parts that took place in Is. The writing is one of the top reasons to read this book, if you ask me. It was amazing!

Likes:
The whole concept.

Not-so-great:
Really?  I figured out what happened with the cat right away.

Total Score: ****
I've been debating whether this should be four or five stars. I've decided to go with more of a 4.5, but I round down, so four stars it is! This is a beautiful story about how little things affect life (and death). It was hauntingly real, with awesome writing. It will appeal to fans of ghost stories, paranormal, romance, mystery, and more. Recommended? Yes!

1 comment:

  1. wow! this was extremely helpful! thanks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...