Monday, May 23, 2011

Plague (Gone #4) by Michael Grant

Plague (Gone, #4)It's been eight months since all the adults disappeared. GONE.

They've survived hunger. They've survived lies. But the stakes keep rising, and the dystopian horror keeps building. Yet despite the simmering unrest left behind by so many battles, power struggles, and angry divides, there is a momentary calm in Perdido Beach.

But enemies in the FAYZ don't just fade away, and in the quiet, deadly things are stirring, mutating, and finding their way free. The Darkness has found its way into the mind of its Nemesis at last and is controlling it through a haze of delirium and confusion. A highly contagious, fatal illness spreads at an alarming rate. Sinister, predatory insects terrorize Perdido Beach. And Sam, Astrid, Diana, and Caine are plagued by a growing doubt that they'll escape - or even survive - life in the FAYZ. With so much turmoil surrounding them, what desperate choices will they make when it comes to saving themselves and those they love?

Plague, Michale Grant's fourth book in the bestselling Gone series, will satisfy dystopian fans of all ages.


 First Look: ***** Of course this was going to be amazing! It's part of the Gone series, after all, and I've only been waiting for this since last, oh, June, probably.  Now let's look critically at that cover, shall we?  That's definitely Astrid over there, who's lost some weight since posing for the cover of book one.  I'm guessing that's Drake next to her, except for the fact that he has two (normal) arms.  Now, if one of those had been completely out of the picture I wouldn't have thought twice, but now... And I'm pretty sure that's Sam and Brittney on the back. Or possibly Brianna, but I think it's Brittney. Overall, the cover for Lies is still my favorite.

Setting: ***** 
While the FAYZ (Fallout Alley Youth Zone) is certainly one of the last places I'd like to live, it's super awesome. Amazingly awesome. It's so vivid in my mind, I can almost smell the...uh...never mind. Yay for living inside giant bubbles.

Characters: ***** 
For a while I thought the author was going to pull a cruel one and kill off my two favorite characters. Not one, but two. Fortunately for the story's sake, he didn't. And now I suppose I can't tell you who those characters are.  Anyway, they are all real.  Very real.  All too real, in fact, especially when they're coughing their heads off.*  Compared to Bella and Edward's messed up child stalker relationship, Sam and Astrid are very realistic.  As individual characters, and as a couple.  Of course, pretty much everyone in this series now is mentally ill in one form or other. But that doesn't stop me from cheering for characters such as Dekka (who doesn't want a power like that?), Edilio, and even Caine at certain points. Drake is just freaky. And Diana...*crosses arms disapprovingly* Well, Diana, what did you think would happen? You had better hope that you can escape in the next nine months.

Plot: ***** 
Amazing. Just amazing. The sheer intensity started at the very beginning and it Did. Not. Let. Up. Wow. I'm still trying to catch my breath. I really, really want to know what happens next after that ending. Completely unpredictable all the way through.

Uniqueness: *****  
There's nothing quite like this. Ever.

Writing: ****
Michael Grant's writing is awesome. He has a great way of telling a story in an intense, epic way. He did tend to use commas where semicolons should have been, though. At least, if you ask me.

Likes:
All of it!  And I even got the sound and fury reference, which made me so proud of myself!  I mean, I've only been staring at it written on the wall across from me in English for the entire year now. Glad to see it came in handy.  Besides, stories that involve anything radioactive usually are good.

Not-so-great:
It did get a little creepy in places.  I didn't mind, but some people might.  It's creepy.  Not The Marbury Lens kind of creepy and freaky, but still. People kill people. People cough and their...never mind. You've been warned. And I do not approve of Caine and Diana's...togetherness (don't worry, it was only implied).  And...muahahaha!  I found a plot hole!  Warning: the following statement may contain spoilers.  You've been warned.  At the beginning, when Diana was looking at herself in the mirror or whatever she was doing, it said that her period had stopped.  And now she's pregnant.  Um....what?

Total Score: *****
I raced through this. It's just that awesome.  It's overflowing with suspense and action and super awesome powers.  The characters are very real, and you forget how young they really are, which makes it almost disturbing when you remember.  The reviews are right.  If Stephen King had written Lord of the Flies, it probably would have been something like this.  It's awesome.  But make sure you read Gone, Hunger, and Lies first!  What's my verdict?  Well, Michael Grant, I hope you write fast.

*Not literally. Probably not literally. Well, now that you mention it....

Reviews of other Gone novels:
Fear (Gone #5)
Light (Gone #6)

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the Gone series!! Plague was amazing!!! And I'm glad you agree :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...