Thursday, June 2, 2011

"I'm writing a book." "You're doing...what?"

Every writer has experienced that moment.  The conversation turns to books or writing, and you simply mention that fact that you're writing a book.  It's amusing when you really start to look at people's reactions to that.

Me: I'm writing a book.
Good friend: Oh, really?  Cool. 

Me: I'm writing a book.
Little kid: Can I read it?  Please, please, please? *if you're holding a notebook, tries to read over shoulder*

Me: I'm writing a book.
Teenage gangster-wannabe boy: *blank stare*

Me: I'm writing a book.
Avid reader: Awesome!  What's it about?  *sits down eagerly and waits for you to explain entire plot*

Me: I'm writing a book.
Crazed fangirl of *insert novel of your choice*: Oooh, yay!  I love some good fanfiction.  Oh, it isn't fanfiction?  *sad face*

Me: I'm writing a book.
An English Teacher: I hope you're not expecting extra credit for this.

Me: I'm writing a book.
Insane Twilight fangirl: How hawt (and they'd pronounce it like that, too) is the boyfriend?  He'd better be drop-dead gorgeous!

Me: I'm writing a book.
The "friend" everyone has that never stops talking: Oh, did you hear what so-and-so did with...Hey, did you say something?

Me: I'm writing a book.
Math teacher: Pshaw, writing has no power compared to math.

Me: I'm writing a book.
Annoying preppy girl: Put me in it!

Me: I'm writing a book.
Druggie: Wow, what are you on?  Where can I get some?

Me: I'm writing a book.
Harry Potter fan: Is it, like, the eighth HP?

Me: I'm writing a book.
Literary agent: You have thirty seconds.  Pitch it to me.  Go.



And finally:
Me: I'm writing a book.
Fellow writer: I feel your pain.

DISCLAIMER: These aren't actual responses.  Well, most of them, anyway. 

4 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, loved that!!!!! can i share that on my blog???

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Good Friend response and The Preppy Girl response combined are typically what I get from just about everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT! Haha, and all of those are so true. This just made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Teen Book Reviewer: Of course! I don't see why not! Just post a link back to here or something. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...