Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #5) by Rick Riordan

The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5)All year the half-bloods have been preparing for battle against the Titans, knowing the odds of a victory are grim. Kronos’s army is stronger than ever, and with every god and half-blood he recruits, the evil Titan’s power only grows.

While the Olympians struggle to contain the rampaging monster Typhon, Kronos begins his advance on New York City, where Mount Olympus stands virtually unguarded. Now it’s up to Percy Jackson and an army of young demigods to stop the Lord of Time.

In this momentous final book in the New York Times best-selling series, the long-awaited prophecy surrounding Percy’s sixteenth birthday unfolds. And as the battle for Western civilization rages on the streets of Manhattan, Percy faces a terrifying suspicion that he may be fighting against his own fate. 


 First Look: ***** People, people, people.* This is Percy Jackson we're talking  about here.  How could I expect anything less than amazing?  If you've been paying any attention to my reviews, you'll have noticed that I try to match the star colors with the book cover.  Well, The Last Olympian has a green cover but blue stars.  Yes, this has everything to do with blue waffles and cupcakes.  Why have I waited so long to actually finish the series?  Let's just say it has to do with getting shiny new HarperTeen books, being appalled at the Percy Jackson movie (Though it is fun to make fun of, and it does have Logan Lerman...), and a very, very, very slow library.

Setting: ***** 
Sometimes the best settings are the ones that are like our world...but not.  This is exactly the case with this series.  It's Earth, but...it's got cooler stuff, like demigods.  And centaurs.  Riordan doesn't even need to describe anything, but he does a fabulous job with making his world real around the reader.

Characters: ***** 
This has always been the number one reason to continue reading the series, for me.  The characters.  They're just so incredibly likable, and they're so real.  Even if they are a cyclops.**  Annabeth has always been my favorite.  This has everything to do with the fact that she's a lot like me.  We have a very similar personality, and the same attitude towards Percy.  He's lovable, yet he's the most obnoxious person on the face of...erm, Olympus.  I outright hated him in the first few books, but I learned to like him as a character. 

Plot: ***** 
Epic.  Very, very epic.  I love it!  Going into this, I was half afraid that the ending might be very anti-climatic, but of course I didn't have that problem. It was an amazing, breathtaking end to the series. It did not disappoint in any way.  I couldn't put it down.  Luckily I got to read it pretty fast, because of finals week (I finish tests really, really fast).  

Uniqueness: *****
Well, duh. What do you expect?

Writing: *****
I wish I could write like this.  The writing is intense, yet hilarious.  Emotion-packed, yet perfectly paced and never leaving the reader behind.  Nice.

Likes:
Um...all of it?

Not-so-great:
The ending with Luke was just a bit predictable.  I called it from book one.  Or maybe I'm just mad about him to start with, because in the first book I though he was such an awesome character, then...boom!  He just pulled a Murtagh on us!***

Total Score: ***** 
Five stars for Percy Jackson.  Five stars for the series.  This is definitely a satisfying end to the entire series.  It's action packed, and exciting, and hilarious.  It won't disappoint.  I'd recommend this series to anyone, anywhere.  Especially if you like Greek mythology, because the way Riordan uses it is purely awesome.  Read the series!!!  It's definitely one series that actually goes uphill.  But now I'm sad, because it's all over....

*Or demigods, monsters, or Olympians, or hippocampi, or...whatever. You get the point.
**I love Tyson.   He's awesome.  'Nuff said.
*** To pull a Murtagh (v.): 1. to have your favorite character suddenly turn evil. 2. when an author makes your favorite character turn to the dark side, all the while saying "Ha!  Gotcha!  I'm the author, so I can do this!".   This is not always a bad thing, but can get annoying when every one of your favorite characters decides to turn villain.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...