Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Eona: The Last Dragoneye by Alison Goodman

Eona: The Last Dragoneye (Eon, #2)Eon has been revealed as Eona, the first female Dragoneye in hundreds of years. Along with fellow rebels Ryko and Lady Dela, she is on the run from High Lord Sethon's army. The renegades are on a quest for the black folio, stolen by the drug-riddled Dillon; they must also find Kygo, the young Pearl Emperor, who needs Eona's power and the black folio if he is to wrest back his throne from the selfstyled "Emperor" Sethon. Through it all, Eona must come to terms with her new Dragoneye identity and power-and learn to bear the anguish of the ten dragons whose Dragoneyes were murdered. As they focus their power through her, she becomes a dangerous conduit for their plans. . . .

Eona, with its pulse-pounding drama and romance, its unforgettable fight scenes, and its surprises, is the conclusion to an epic only Alison Goodman could create


Eona picks up the story right where Eon left off.  Since I loved Eon, I had really high expectations for this.  Fortunately, it didn't let me down.  It actually exceeded my expectations for a sequel.

The tension never, ever let up.  I was on the edge of my seat (well, metaphorically speaking, since I read most of this on an airplane with my seat belt on) the entire time.  My mind was racing, trying to guess the ending, who was lying, who would be a traitor, but every twist and turn came as a complete surprise.  This was the most intense book I've read in a very long time, and by the time I was done I was breathless.  The action sequences were pure amazingness.

I normally don't like romance in books, so the added element of a love triangle in Eona made me a little nervous.  But...wow.  I didn't know book romance could be so....oh, how can I put this?  Intense.  Not in the oh-that's-so-adorable-they-really-love-each-other way, but in a gasping, flinching sort of didn't-he-just-try-to-kill-her-but-now-they're-kissing sort of way.  And yes, the romance will get that kind of reaction.  There's just so much emotion emanating from the pages.  It's insane.  A good kind of insane.

Speaking of emotion, Eona was much darker than Eon, because the stakes were so much higher.  I'll tell you right now.  People die in this book.  People you care about.  But perhaps that's part of why this book is so engaging--it actually gets you to care about the characters as if they were real people.  The main characters were fully three-dimensional, and the supporting characters were awesome.  Eona gives a whole new meaning to "strong female heroine".

Needless to say, I loved this book.  I finished it over a week ago, and I'm still in love/in shock over it.  I will recommended this book to anyone.  And I mean, anyone.  Whether you like fantasy or not, because Eona will draw you in like no other book.

Five stars for pure epicness.  Five stars for amazing intensity.  Five stars for characters that are to die for.  Five stars for Eona.

Note: I'm starting to give up my normal way of reviewing for sequels.  It's just so difficult to do the category thing with second, third, etc. books.  

As you've probably noticed, I'm back from Boston, so no more scheduled posts!  Yes, I had a great time, thank you for asking.  *coughcough*  Over my trip, I also finished The Cry of the Icemark and This World We Live In, so I'm hoping to get those reviews done soon.  Stay tuned!

Reviews of other Eon novels:
Eon: Dragoneye Reborn (Eon #1)

4 comments:

  1. I did a review on this a couple months ago myself, and I agree with you! This book was amazing! It's totally one of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you! :)
    Just responding to your question to make sure you get it.
    Just go to Dashboard>Design>Click on the "Edit" button under the blog posts. And it should be there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, there it is. Thank so much, Evie! I knew there was something I was missing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome! :) It was hidden! haha!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...