Thursday, July 21, 2011

Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely #1) by Melissa Marr


Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.
Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty—especially if they learn of her Sight—and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.


Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.
Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer. 

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.
But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost—regardless of her plans or desires.
Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.
Faerie intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning 21st century faery tale. 

First Look: ***** The cover is very pretty--I like the purple.  I wasn't too sure about the premise, though.  I usually steer clear of faerie books (not counting Artemis Fowl, but those aren't your typical fairies anyway.), just because I've simply read too many that I didn't enjoy. I thought maybe I'd give the faeries another shot.

Setting: *****
I honestly have no idea whatsoever where Aislinn lives.  I know it's in a city, but that's all I can tell.  It could be anywhere from San Francisco to Istanbul* (Constantinople?  Why did Constantinople get the works?  That's nobody's business but the Turks.).  The only place I could picture was Seth's train house.  That's actually kind of cool, to live in a train like that.  Like The Boxcar Children. But goth.

Characters: *****  
Speaking of goth...why are all these people so...goth?  I don't have anything personally against that, but still.  They all had tattoos and piercings in weird places and all that.  So, okay, I can live with that, because hey, they're fictional.  But then the characters' friends did drugs and smoked and everyone was just fine and dandy with that? Nuh-uh, people. Not okay.

 I never really cared for Aislinn.  She was bland and boring and Mary Sue-ish.  Seth was just too perfect.  He never did anything wrong, and it seems like his supreme goal in life is to make sure Aislinn is happy.  Their relationship was way too weird.  They're friends, but "friends" don't stroke each other's hair and kiss their necks.  At least, my friends don't.  I've never met any teenage friends like that. It wasn't real. Keenan was just annoying, and I couldn't figure out why on earth Beira was so evil. Donia was the only vaguely interesting character. I liked her.

Plot: *****
It took forever for something to actually happen.  Once it did, though, it was interesting enough.  I didn't care at all for the romance, but all the stuff with the faeries battling each other and the world being in danger was really exciting.  Unfortunately, most, if not all, of the attention went to the romance, which felt forced and unrealistic. And the carnival was just creepy.

Uniqueness: ****
This is sometimes the hardest rating to give.  I could give a book five stars on this, then read another book that's exactly like it, but the second book was written first. So who's the unique one then?  The faeries seemed unique enough, but the love triangle... pretty close to isosceles.  Ugh.

Writing: *****
I can't pinpoint what didn't work for me in the writing.  I hate it when I say that in reviews, but it's true.  I'm not sure what it was, I just didn't care for it. The writing just didn't feel connected to the story. I feel like I've been saying that a lot lately.

Likes:
All of the faerie mythology stuff is interesting.  These faeries aren't the tooth fairy. They're not all cute and fluttery.

Not-so-great:
Argh.  This book had too much casual sex.  It was never shown, but they just...didn't care.  They treated it like it was just nothing.  What?  That's just wrong.  And I also didn't like some other small, weird little insignificant things I won't bother mentioning here because it'll take too long for nothing.

Total Score:
  I feel like I'm being overly negative with this review. It wasn't a bad book, really. It was just okay. The plot was interesting, but it had too much unrealistic romance, and in the end I just didn't feel connected to any of the characters. I might read the next one if I happen to see it laying around, but I'm not going to bother searching it out.



 post signature

2 comments:

  1. I agree with every part of this review except the casual sex, which is not a "dislike" for me.

    I especially enjoyed your analysis of the characters, which exactly parallels my opinion. I hated Aislinn; she bored me to no end. I found myself wanting the entire book to focus on Donia, rather than only select chapters.

    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't all too thrilled on the gothic parts either. The series came off as having some really dark themes too it. (I dislike the second book the most, Ink Exchange).

    Like you and Booklover, I disliked Aislinn but liked Donia. She was neat. Keenan bugged the crap out of me, so did Seth too. But the High Queen Sorcha and her twin Bananach, are my two favorite characters I think.

    And I hated the ending of the series. It bugged me and, ugh, it just made me mad (although kinda happy too.)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...