Friday, October 21, 2011

Eragon (Inheritance #1) by Christopher Paolini

One boy...
One dragon...
A world of adventure.

When young Eragon finds a polished blue stone in the forest, he thinks it is the lucky discovery of a poor farm boy; perhaps it will buy his adopted family meat for the winter. But when the stone brings a dragon hatchling, Eragon realizes he has stumbled upon a legacy nearly as old as the Empire itself. Overnight his simple life is shattered, and he is thrust into a perilous new world of inescapable destiny, magical forces, and powerful people. With only an ancient sword and the instruction of an old, mysterious, hermit storyteller for guidance, Eragon and the fledgling dragon must navigate the dangerous terrain and dark enemies of an Empire ruled by a Emperor whose evil and power knows no bounds. Can Eragon take up the mantle of the legendary Dragon Riders? The fate of the Empire may rest in his hands….

I first read this book the summer before I went into fifth grade.  Was it really that long ago?  Wow.  Of course, I fell in love.  And since then, I've read this book a few times since.  I don't have an exact count, but I'd put it around...erm, a...high number.  We'll just leave it there.  (This is a reread, in case you haven't noticed.  That's why I'm not doing my normal review style.)

I have to admit, though, it had been awhile since I had read it last.  I wanted to have an Eragon Marathon and read all the books before the final one came out, but I was a bit nervous.  I hadn't read the series since I started looking deeper into books and doing my reviews and all that.  I was a bit afraid it wouldn't be as good as I remembered.

Haha.  I was worried about that?  Wow.  It was every bit as good as I remembered, if not better.

Sometimes you miss things the first time you read a book.  As in, why did I not remember a single thing about a giant slide?  And when you've read the entire series many times, you see things you couldn't have possibly seen the first time through.  Mainly foreshadowing.  There is some fantastic foreshadowing here, people.  Mostly surrounding the Bromsson thing. 

I love this book.  I don't care how much it has in common with Star Wars.  Let me ask you this: Does Star Wars have an equivalent to Angela, Roran, or Orik?  Does Han Solo have a dragon?  No, I didn't think so. 

The setting never fails to draw me in.  It's so intricate, yet so broad and expansive.  I enjoy referring back to the map as the characters travel.  I love the concepts, too, with the dragons and Riders and Ancient Language and...everything. 

The characters, though, are what really drives this book home for me.  They're fantastic.  I even managed to like Eragon this time.  When I was younger, I wasn't a huge fan of the main character himself.  Now that I look back, I think this had to do with the fact that he was fifteen and I was much younger.  Since we're the same age now, I find him much easier to connect to, and to appreciate as a character.  And because we're on the subject of characters....

MURTAGH!!!!!!!!

Probably my favorite character of all time, right there.  (Yeah, for those of you that know what happens in Eldest--you can probably guess how I feel about that.)  That's a pretty high honor, seeing as I read a lot of books per year.  Multiply that by the number of characters in each book...that's a lot. 

I should probably save some of my Inheritance is amazing and epic and all that rant for later.  Stay tuned for my review of Eldest, once I finish rereading. 


Oh, by the way, did you see what I did, up in the title?  At first, I was going to say Inheritance Trilogy.  Cycle?  What cycle?  But since "Inheritance Trilogy #4" would just look odd when I review the last book, I just went with Inheritance. 

Note: This is a scheduled post, since I won't be able to blog for a few days.  Hence the lack of posts.

Reviews of other Inheritance novels:
Eldest (Inheritance #2)
Brisingr (Inheritance #3)
Inheritance (Inheritance #4)
post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...