Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Gray Wolf Throne (Seven Realms #3) by Cinda Williams Chima

The Gray Wolf Throne (Seven Realms, #3)
Han Alister thought he had already lost everyone he loved. But when he finds his friend Rebecca Morley near death in the Spirit Mountains, Han knows that nothing matters more than saving her. The costs of his efforts are steep, but nothing can prepare him for what he soon discovers: the beautiful, mysterious girl he knew as Rebecca is none other than Raisa ana’Marianna, heir to the Queendom of the Fells. Han is hurt and betrayed. He knows he has no future with a blueblood. And, as far as he’s concerned, the princess’s family killed his own mother and sister. But if Han is to fulfill his end of an old bargain, he must do everything in his power to see Raisa crowned queen.

Meanwhile, some people will stop at nothing to prevent Raisa from ascending. With each attempt on her life, she wonders how long it will be before her enemies succeed. Her heart tells her that the thief-turned-wizard Han Alister can be trusted. She wants to believe it—he’s saved her life more than once. But with danger coming at her from every direction, Raisa can only rely on her wits and her iron-hard will to survive—and even that might not be enough.

The Gray Wolf Throne is an epic tale of fierce loyalty, unbearable sacrifice, and the heartless hand of fate.


I'm just warning you now.  This will be more of a rant than a review.


On this book's release day, I checked the library website.  They didn't have a copy.  I checked faithfully every day until they finally got it.  And of course, I was the first to read this book in all its shiny purple glory.


This book reminds me why I love Chima's book so much.  It was amazing.  I mean, look at my Goodreads status updates: 

Page 490: "HOW COULD YOU? < This statement refers to...pretty much all the major characters. But mostly AMON!!!! I'm pretty sure I have the most enthusiastic status updates for this book so far."


Page 350: "*breathes loudly* DANCER! I AM YOUR FATHER! No, really. Genius, Chima. Genius. Didn't see that one coming. *applauds and breathes loudly again*"

Page 280: "AMON!!!!!!!!!!! I do believe you've just made my top ten list of awesome characters. *goes nuts like a nine-year-old at a Justin Beiber concert*"

Page 180: "NOOOO!!!! Don't die, Han! You're more awesome than a million Edwards!"

Page 120: "I CALLED IT! I CALLED IT! I knew who that Crow wacko was as soon as he popped up! Somehow this makes me love the book even more."

Page 20: "Raisa successfully tacked up a horse. Correctly. In a fantasy novel. I'm very impressed. Bravo, Chima."

Yeah.

But really, it was amazing.  It sucked me in right away, and didn't hesitate at all to drop me right into the action.  By page 10 or so I was already freaking out.  Not one thing in this book happened as I expected it to, which is amazing.  There were sooooo many twists and turns, and I loved every single one of them.  It was unpredictable in the very best way possible.   

It was better than I expected, actually.  Sure, The Exiled Queen was better than The Demon King, but I simply attributed that to the fact that I read tEQ in just a few long sittings, which tends to get me more emotionally involved in a book.  I didn't really think a series that didn't say D. J. MacHale on the cover could actually improve on itself with each successive book.  I was wrong.  

It's an amazing thing when an author can get a reader to care (and I mean actually care) about the characters. I laughed when they laughed.  I hated to see them hurt.  I loved them and wanted them to come out on top.  This, ladies and gentlemen, is some fabulous character development.  And I do think Amon Byrne has just made my 10 ten list of all-time favorite characters.*


And the ending...wow.  Chima, how could you?  Show us that, and then make us wait for the next book?  Cruel, but yet...I like your style.  Definitely.  I can't wait for The Crimson Crown.  Although I do think I know who got murdered.

*A list which includes Murtagh, Walter Foley, and Severus Snape.  Yeah.


Reviews of other Seven Realms novels:


















 






 




 





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...