Friday, December 16, 2011

The Death Cure (The Maze Runner #3) by James Dashner

The time for lies is over. 

Thomas knows that Wicked can't be trusted, but they say the time for lies is over, that they've collected all they can from the Trials and now must rely on the Gladers, with full memories restored, to help them with their ultimate mission. It's up to the Gladers to complete the blueprint for the cure to the Flare with a final voluntary test.

What Wicked doesn't know is that something's happened that no Trial or Variable could have foreseen. Thomas has remembered far more than they think. And he knows that he can't believe a word of what Wicked says.

The time for lies is over. But the truth is more dangerous than Thomas could ever imagine.
Will anyone survive the Death Cure?


It had been awhile since I read The Scorch Trials, so at first I was afraid I'd have trouble remembering some things.  So I quickly read the Wikipedia summary (I love Wikipedia.  It's amazing.  Ahem.), and figured I was good to go.  

Or not.  I remembered the Gladers like Newt* and Minho just fine, but Brenda...I totally forgot she existed.  Not good.  And for me, it's really unusual to forget things like that.  I can probably tell you the names of all the major characters from every book I've read this year, and much of last year.  But for some reason, not this series. 

Which brings me to my next point.  Character development.  I loved the characters of the Gladers.  Newt and Minho and Frypan and all of them.  But our main character, Thomas...  I still have no idea what kind of personality he has.  I don't know who he is.  I can't bring myself to like him.  You'd think after all these books I'd be at least a little attached to him, but I just didn't care what happened to him.  Yeah, I cared about everyone else.  Just not really him.  I didn't understand why he was so important anyways. 

Other than the major character issues, though, I really enjoyed this book.  Though it was a tad predictable is places (WICKED is good, yeah.  And Lady Gaga will win the next presidential election.), the plot was still interesting and exciting, though it lacked my favorite element of The Maze Runner: the maze itself.

You see, I tend to really enjoy stories about a group of teens trapped in an enclosed space.  Like the Gone series, specifically, or Trapped, or something along those lines.  Lord of the Flies-esque stories**.  For some reason, these stories fascinate me.  Which is part of the reason why The Maze Runner was so appealing to me.  I liked the second two much less, and I think this is the reason. 

But I sound like I didn't like this book, which isn't true.  I liked it.  It was full of action and suspense.  And lies and manipulaton!!!!!  I love it when I can't for the life of me figure out who is working for who and who's the real bad guy.  I love trying to figure it all out, and I love being proved wrong. 

I also liked this book's creep factor.  Like the whole "We need your brain" thing.  If that doesn't get you all weirded out, I don't know what will.  And the thing with Newt, which I won't tell for fear of spoilers, but...wow.  Horrible but awesome, Dashner.  Well done.

If you enjoyed the first two, then you'll enjoy this one!  It's definitely not as good as The Maze Runner, but it's better than The Scorch Trials.  Recommended for sci-fi and dystopian fans!



*NEEEEEEWWTTT!  *shakes fist at sky* 
**For the record, right now, I'm not sure if I like Lord of the Flies or not.  Yes, it's a classic.  Yes, it's horribly disturbing.  Yes, I read it for school.  But...  At first, I didn't like it.  I was creeped out, grossed out, and just plain ready to be done with this freaky book (and I never wanted to watch Madagascar again).  But the more I think about this book, the more I...keep thinking about it.  And the best kind of book is the kind that makes you think about it....and think about it...and think about it.  The more I think about it, the more I seem to appreciate it.  So I don't know how I feel about it anymore. 

Reviews of other Maze Runner novels:
The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner #2)
post signature

2 comments:

  1. Are you kidding?!? Lord of the Flies is amazing! :O
    www.rxbots.yolasite.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly thought that the book was relatively well written. There were parts that i thought were really boring, but then it went back to being interesting. I recomend it if you have the ability to power through boring parts and enjoy science fiction/ apacoliptic scenarios.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...