Thursday, December 29, 2011

Sabotaged (The Missing #3) by Margaret Peterson Haddix

After helping Chip and Alex survive 15th century London, Jonah and Katherine are summoned to help another missing child, Andrea, face her fate. Andrea is really Virginia Dare, from the Lost Colony of Roanoke. Jonah and Katherine are confident in their ability to help Andrea fix history, but when their journey goes dangerously awry, they realize that they may be in over their head. They've landed in the wrong time period. Andrea doesn't seem that interested in leaving the past. And even worse, it appears that someone has deliberately sabotaged their mission...

First off, I'm very behind on reviews. Even more behind than I was when I this summer when I was on vacation for over a week without internet access other than my iPod. So this will be a short review, for which I apologize in advance. 

For such an action-packed book, Sabotaged somehow managed to remain largely without plot.  Yes, there was an issue throughout the story, but it felt to me like not much was happening.  The characters spent huge amounts of time trying to figure out what was going on, but not until the end did they actually do something. 

And speaking of trying to figure out what was going on...  I got a bit confused in places.  Mostly with the tracers.  I figured it out, but I had to work a little harder for it than I would've liked.  I wish it would've been a little easier to understand without rereading parts.  Or maybe I was just distracted when I read this. 

The character development really hasn't improved since Sent.  I liked the characters, for the most part, in Found, but they started to fall flat in Sent.  Hopefully the next book will change my opinions of the characters. 

 I really didn't dislike this book as much as it seems from this review.  Thankfully, the time-traveling stuff is still staying exciting and fresh and cool.  Because I like time travel.  I'll still probably pick up the next one, just because I want to know what happens.  Hopefully it improves on this one. 


PS: I also apologize in advance for any technical weirdness that might happen with this blog.  I'm working from a brand-new laptop(!), so I'm still getting used to some things.

Reviews of other The Missing novels:
post signature

1 comment:

  1. Hi Annie, I followed your link over from Janice Hardy's blog!

    I'm getting ready to start this series, so now I'm a little worried! *laugh* Also near the very top of my Giant Ridiculous TBR Pile (GRTBRP) is The Death Cure, so I'll go look and see what you thought of it. (To tell the truth, I think the series is okay but no Hunger Games.) I see that you're getting ready to read The Ask and The Answer. How are you liking that series? It just blew me away. That's in that category of books that make me think "I wish I could write that well"!

    Anyhow, happy new year! (Unless you don't celebrate the new year, in which case, um, have a nice day!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...