Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Son of Neptune (The Heroes of Olympus #2) by Rick Riordan

The Son of Neptune  (Heroes of Olympus, #2)Percy is confused. When he awoke from his long sleep, he didn't know much more than his name. His brain fuzz is lingering, even after the wolf Lupa tol him he is a demigod and trained him to fight with the pen/sword in his pocket. Somehow Percy manages to make it to a camp for half-bloods, despite the fact that he has to keep killing monsters along the way. But the camp doesn't ring and bells with him. The only thing he can recall from his past is another name: Annabeth

Hazel is supposed to be dead. When she lived before, she didn't do a very good job of it. Sure, she was an obedient daughter, even when her mother was possessed by greed. But that was the problem - when the Voice took over he mother and commanded Hazel to use her "gift" for and evil purpose, Hazel couldn't say no. Now because of her mistake, the future of the world is at risk. Hazel wished she could ride away from it all on the stallion that appears in her dreams.

Frank is a klutz. His grandmother says he is descended from heroes and can be anything he wants to be, but he doesn't see it. He doesn't even know who his father is. He keeps hoping Apollo will claim him, because the only thing he is good at is archery - although not good enough to win camp war games. His bulky physique makes him feel like an ox, especially infront of Hazel, his closest friend at camp. He trusts her completely - enough to share the secret he holds close to his heart.

Beginning at the "other" camp for half-bloods and extending as far as the land beyond the gods, this breathtaking second installment of the Heroes of Olympus series introduces new demigods, revives fearsome monsters, and features other remarkable creatures, all destined to play a part in the Prophesy of Seven.


 At the end of The Last Olympian, Percy himself was not on my list of thing's I'd miss.  The Son of Neptune proved me wrong.

By the time I was finished with the original Percy Jackson series, I was getting tired of Percy.  I thought he was annoying and whiny.  No, it was Annabeth and Grover and the others that I'd miss.  Well, this book has shown me differently.  Surprisingly enough, I was glad to read about Percy again.  Hmm.  Maybe it was the third person.  I don't know. 

I've noticed that sometimes, Rick Riordan just can't help but have fun with certain things.  Like whole "I'm standing on a pile of schist" thing.*  My favorite, though, is the Amazons.  Amazons are taking over the world through Amazon.com.  I always knew something was up with that website...haha.   Anyway...

Another thing I've noted about both this series and the Percy Jackson series is that these teenagers spend a huge amount of the books traveling around with one another, staying together as a close group.  And they never get on each other's nerves.  What?  Let's face it: any group of any kind of people traveling in close quarters will inevitably start to annoy each other.  Why doesn't this happen in Riordan's books?

I'm not entirely sure what to say about this book (other than the fact that I love, love, love the cover!).  I really missed Leo, Jason, and Piper, and I felt they made a more interesting trio than Percy, Frank, and Hazel.  I enjoyed the book as a whole, but it definitely wasn't better than The Lost Hero.  Fans of the series will enjoy it (and some more so than I), but I liked the first one a lot more.   I'm really hoping that the next book is Annabeth-centered.  *crosses fingers* 


*My eighth grade geoscience class did not miss this, either.  I've heard more schist jokes than is fair for one lifetime.  And Uranus ones, too.  *tries to shut out memories of obnoxious, bad jokes* 

post signature

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely can not wait for this book to come out. The Lost Hero was phenomenal as was Rick's other series'. I expect this book will live up to the expectations if not going higher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's actually out in the US already. I'm not sure about other countries, though!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...