Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Year of Blogging

One year ago today, I sat down and made a blog.  I didn't have any plans for it.  I knew essentially nothing about blogging.

But I did it anyway.

Now, one year later, I have 45 followers and almost 8,000 pageviews.  I've had 165 comments. 

So I think I've made some progress, no? 

What really interests me is looking at the most popular posts.  It's interesting to see which posts people find most helpful, most interesting.  Here they are, starting at the fifth most popular down to the top post.

5. Eragon (Inheritance #1) by Christopher Paolini  53 pageviews
4. A Villainous Post 60 pageviews
3. Top Ten Books of 2011  61 pageviews
2. Just a Little Inheritance Hype  84 pageviews
1. How to Finish a Book 111 pageviews

Now, of course, there are always a few posts that never quite get the attention you think they deserve.  Here are some of my favorites that I feel are worth reading (no particular order):

So You Think You Can Write (Have Fun With That)
Why Your Horribleness Doesn't Matter
You Know You're a Writer When...
Working With Microsoft Word
Care and Keeping of the Fictional Horse


I've also accumulated an interesting list of keywords people search that led them to this blog. My personal favorites are "Eragon vs. Murtagh", "Bobby Pendragon's relation to astral projection" (what relation? There is no relation.), "Narnia Risk game" (It exists! I had to look this one up myself, but it's out there!), and many variations of "epic awesome random".

*Inheritance spoiler in this paragraph only* "Galbatorix's death explosion" also deserves mention. I was both confused and amused when I saw that someone had searched that.

I've estimated that this blog contains over 111,000 words, with an average of about 600 per post.  Now, if only I could write novels that fast....

Recently, the reviews page recieved a somewhat major facelift.  It now looks like this:



Now, instead of just having a huge list of books sorted by genre, I made a cooler list, sorted just like it would be in a library.  It's nicer looking, methinks, and a little more...interactive.  What do you think?

Also, what do you think of the blog in general?  What kind of posts are your favorite?  What do I need more of?  What's your favorite post?

Here's to another fabulous year of blogging!
post signature

1 comment:

  1. That. Is. A. Lot. Of. Words!

    Well happy blog birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...