Saturday, March 3, 2012

Monthly Recap: February 2012

I've decided to start doing an end-of-month update at the end of each month.  In these updates, I'll post various links I've discovered, helpful writing articles, random amusing things, news, books read, the current price of tea in China, etc.  If they seem to go over well and I find things to write in them, then I'll continue them.  If not, then, well, I won't. 

Books
In February, I read The Shifter by Janice Hardy (3 stars), Legend by Marie Lu (4 stars), Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (4 stars), Airborn by Kenneth Oppel (4 stars), and Here Lies Arthur by Philip Reeve (3 stars).  No five star books this month, but luckily no books under 3 stars, either!  Out of all of them, my favorite was Legend, with Airborn a very close second.

Writing Links
I blogged about commonly mutilated words, and I compared your novel to clingwrap.   Janice Hardy had an interesting post about making your readers care.  There's a good post at Seeing Creative about odd phrasing (and it's something you might do more than you realize).  I found posts on plotting in layers, a post on voice in writing, and more. 

Other Links
I blogged about the actual probability of love at first sight, and posted about the cover reveals for The Crimson Crown and The Last Guardian (and at the bottom of this post I briefly discussed how SMeyer is apparently anti-human) There's an adorable video (with kittens AND books) at the ever-awesome Reasoning With Vampires.  I found a hilarious awful teen paranormal romance generator.  It's incredibly awesome.  You should really check it out.

The Inkpocalypse
Inkpop is gone.  Forever.  HarperCollins sold it to Figment.  And they were utterly lovely about the way they handled the whole thing.  (And that was sarcasm.)  I am not happy at all.  Expect a full-blown rant in the near future.  Read the original article, and a much better one for the full story.

Blog News
We have 52 followers!  Way to go, people!  You are awesome!  Ahem.  Anyway...  Popular posts in February were my review of The Death Cure, a post comparing your novel to clingwrap, the post about the probability of love at first sight, my mini-reviews of Monsters of Men, Legend, and Shifter, and Dear Secular Music.


While I'm at it, I've been tagged by the lovely Sareh from Birds of a Writer.  Because I've been tagged, my quest (yep, quest) is to answer these questions.  While I'm not going to tag anyone because I'm really not close enough with five other bloggers to tag them (what can I say?  I'm an introvert...), I'm going to post the rules anyway.  And if you want to do this, consider yourself tagged!
  1. What is your favorite book/author and why? I can't really pin down any specific favorite book.  I have many favorites.  But for the sake of picking something, I almost always say Eragon by Christopher Paolini.   Despite the hatred it tends to receive on a regular basis (largely from the Star Wars fandom), I love it. 
  2. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?  Antarctica.  No lie.  I really want to see all the ice.  I've seen pictures, and it can be really pretty in places.
  3. Are you an introvert or an extrovert? Or a little of both?  Introvert!  I can't even comprehend being an extrovert.  And I'm very content with my introvertedness.
  4. What was/is your favorite class in high school?  It tends to change, but right now I have to go with...band!
  5. If you could have any animal (real or imaginable) what would it be?  Real?  A horse.  Imaginary?  DRAGON!
  6. Who inspires you to be the best person you can be? No one specific, really.  Just people in general that do good things, the things that rekindle that spark of hope for humanity.  That's what's inspiring. 
  7. Has there ever been one person/thing/event that's changed your life for the good or bad? (If you don't want to explain it, you don't have to.)  Again, there's really nothing specific.  I think everything that's ever happened to me has changed me somehow, for better or worse.
  8. Would you like to be a famous musician/artist/reporter/talk show host/etc? (Don't say writer if you are a writer.)  Other than writer, I always thought it would be fun to be a musician.  If I could sing, that is....
  9. What was the scariest thing you've ever done?  Um...I went down a black-diamond ski run named Lift Face yesterday?  But that actually wasn't scary.  I can think of one scary thing right now, but unfortunately...I'm not going to share it here.  Sorry. :) 
  10. What is your best memory?  I have lots of them, but what springs to mind right away are all the fun times with my family in our little pop-up camper.
  11. What is your quest? (and where is that from?)  My quest?  To get published.  To graduate high school?  I'm not sure what's meant by "quest" here, but here are a few things I want to do before I die: watch a foal being born, go to Antarctica, eat chili when it's chilly in Chile, learn a language other than English or Spanish, buy a castle (I might as well dream big), swim with dolphins, etc. 
And the rules are...
1. You post the rules!
2. Answer the questions and then create eleven new questions to ask the people you’ve tagged.
3. Tag five (it's a neat number!) people and link to them.
4. Let them know youve tagged them.
(and my own "rule") 5. If you do this, post a comment and link to the post!

My eleven questions for whoever wants to participate:
1. White cupcakes with chocolate frosting or chocolate cupcakes with white frosting?
2. Least favorite book?  Why?
3. What's your definition of reality?
4. If you could be published by any publishing company of your choice, who would it be?
5. Author you'd most like to meet?
6. A book cover that you'd blow up to wall-size and put in your room?
7. Creepiest smiley? ( :), :(, etc.)
8. Ebooks or regular books?
9. Hardcover or paperback?
10. Curling or bobsledding?
11. Why? (I'm going to leave this open-ended.  Answer however you wish. Muahaha.)
post signature

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...