Saturday, March 31, 2012

Monthly Recap: March 2012

Books
In March, I read Dreaming Anastasia by Joy Preble (3 stars), The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (4 stars), Unwind by Neal Shusterman (4 stars), Morpheus Road: The Light by D. J. MacHale (4 stars), and Terrier by Tamora Pierce (4 stars).  Like last month, unfortunately, no 5 star books, but at least nothing was below 3 stars.  My favorite was either The Girl of Fire and Thorns, or The Light. 

Writing Links
This month, I read a wonderfully motivational post on kickstarting your writing this spring.  I found articles on working with multiple POV characters, a helpful overview of where to go with your revision, when not to tell your character's backstory, making a living as a writer, and a list of 20 careers in creative writing.  I posted on writing dialogue and alternatives to Inkpop, and I compiled a list of awesome quotes about writing.

Other Links
This cover was revealed this month.  Me thinks 'tis snazzy.
A way-too-entertaining, highly informative list of 100 cool facts about Lord of the RingsThe Hunger Games, in amusing charts.  An article about how the moon and tides may have affected the Titanic.  A puzzling brain teaser thing that will frustrate you until you get it right (hint: right-clicking may help you solve it).  There's a hilarious post at Hyperbole and a Half (if you've never checked out this blog, you should...but be warned about the occasional questionable language) listing 7 exciting games you can play with a brick.  Okay, it's from a long time ago, but it's still worth posting.  So is the awkward situation survival guide, from the same site.  Owl City's Adam Young posted some interesting thoughts on how different people listen to music.

Annie News/Etc.
I've been accepted to work this summer at Celebrate Me Week, a Christian summer camp for sixth graders going into seventh grade.  It's going to be a lot of fun!  So if you happen to know someone who's currently a fifth grader (they'll be able to go not this summer, but next, 'cause this year is full) in MN, tell them to check it out.  (There, that was my shameless promotion.)  I've also discovered The Afters' new song, which is beyond amazing.
How about you?  What did you read this month?  What interesting links and things did you find? 

PS: I wrote up a list of what not to do in Middle Earth.  I'm not sure if I'll post it.  Should I?

post signature

6 comments:

  1. This is so cool. :) I laughed at the The Hunger Games charts. And the writing links are helpful. And I read Unwind! I loved the ending. <3 Well, except Roland's... demise.

    And you should post what not to do on Middle Earth! It would be sweet... totally. ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Roland's "demise" is quite freaky. :)

      Delete
  2. Annie,
    You claimed somewhere (I think under "Random") that you wouldn't post any content that a three-year-old or your grandmother couldn't see. Well, I disagree. Although you didn't directly write it, you posted a link to a blog post that swears. Just one word...but a very inappropriate one. This doesn't seem right to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for pointing that out! I appreciate it. I'll put a warning by the link.

      Delete
    2. It is the Hyperbole and a Half link, right? :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...