Saturday, June 30, 2012

Monthly Recap: June 2012 (And a Blogging Break)

Books
In May (there was no May update), I read and/or reviewed The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (4 stars), The Blood by D.J. MacHale (4 stars), Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers (3 stars), TimeRiders by Alex Scarrow (4 stars), The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flannagan (4 stars), Fear by Michael Grant (5 stars!), and Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride (4 stars).

In June, I read Witchlanders by Lena Coakley (5 stars!), Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (3 stars), The Returning by Christine Hinwood (3 stars), Skybreaker by Kenneth Oppel (4 stars), The Drowned Cities by Paolo Bacigalupi (5 stars!), and Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare (3 stars).

 Writing Links
Here are some signs your story has too many characters, a post on your characters' humor, a post on taking the mystery out of query letters, a fantastic form to fill out for developing MCs, a post on how to spot non-reactive and over-reactive characters, 38 ways to check for character life, and 21 ways to make your plot more compelling.  Writing-wise, I blogged about my four aspects of character development, writing what you love, when to start and stop your story/scenes, and character needs vs. wants.

Other Links
Here is a fascinating breakdown of YA book covers in 2011, and a great summer reading flowchart.  Also, I'd highly recommend that you check out my friend's blog, Beaux Cheveux.  She's doing a zillion different hairstyles for every day throughout the summer, and she's blogging about it with tutorials and pictures.  Cool, no?  She did this second semester--a different hairstyle every day.  No lie.  Check it out!  (And for all those non-French speakers, like me, it's pronounced BOH-SHA-VOH.  Or at least, I think.)

Song of the Month: "Paradise" by Coldplay
The music video is odd, but the song is awesome.

Also, I'm going to take a break from blogging for the next week or so.  I'll be unable to get to the internet, and I didn't have enough time to schedule posts in advance.  Besides, in over two years, I haven't done this once, so it's probably time for a short rest.  Meanwhile, I can assure you that I'll be doing plenty of this:
Because I totally blog with that machine.  Even if it has no screen.


What about you?  What did you read in June?  What cool links did you find?
post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...