Friday, July 20, 2012

15.5 Things to Do With a Library Receipt

    Isn't it annoying when you check out a massive pile of books at the library, and they give you this long receipt to go with it, as if you don't already know what you checked out?  I've never liked library receipts, but... You have to admit, sometimes they come in handy.  That's why I've compiled a list of the best 15.5 things to do with a library receipt.
  1. Use it as a bookmark.  This is one of the most obvious uses for a library receipt.  After all, it's better than dog-earing the pages!  And what else would you honestly need the receipt for, anyway?
  2. Leave it in the book (for posterity).  Think about it--if you leave it, and the next reader leaves it, and the next....  And then paper books will go completely out of use and this book will be in a museum and it'll have YOUR receipt from 250 years ago, and it'll be worth millions of dollars.
  3. Leave it in the book (out of laziness). I don't think I need to explain this one.
  4. Stuff it in the inside flap of the jacket.  I've gotten library books with receipts stuffed inside the flaps.  People do it more often than you'd think.
  5. Leave it, and write a note to the next reader.  It'll be like chain mail!
  6. Shove it in another part of the book and forget about it.  I've done this a few times.  I start the book and put the receipt towards the end.  When I get towards the end, I move the receipt back to the front, meaning to toss it sometime.  Then I forget it was ever there and revert to numbers 2 and 3.
  7. Stick it into your sister's book.  I've had this done to me.  "Why's the receipt in my book?  Hey, I'll just put it in Annie's."
  8. Take it out, and replace it with a Pokemon card.  I've found a fair number of Pokemon cards in library books.  Depending on the Pokemon, this made me excited.  And what an incentive for elementary and middle schoolers (okay, high schoolers too) to read books!  Read a book, get a Pokemon card!
  9. Start a collection.  Because, hey, why not?  I mean, I still have my HPDHP2 midnight showing ticket..... (That's Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 for all you Muggles.)
  10. Use them as wallpaper.  It's free and it saves trees!
  11. Let them pile up on your desk.  This happens to me.  I pull it out of the book, set it on the desk, and it gets buried.  I'll find it while cleaning two months later.
  12. Use them in place of firewood.  If you're ever stranded on a desert island with no trees in sight, you'll be covered.
  13. Stuff them in Christmas present bags, in place of tissue paper.  Just make sure you haven't checked out anything embarrassing before giving the gift.
  14. Run around waving it and singing "Having Fun Isn't Hard When You've Got a Library Card".  Because everyone knows that Arthur making a musical is the equivalent of Ash Ketchum turning his hat around.  When it happens, you know something's about to go down.  And besides, the song is catchy.  (Yes, I totally just linked to those two.)
  15. Toss it.  This is the most boring thing to do.  It's also what I happen to do.                                                                                     15.5 Recycle them.  It's more earth-friendly.
Or you could just use the self checkout machine that has the "no receipt" button.  That works, too. 

From this moment on, 15.5 shall be known as "an Annie dozen".
What do you do with library receipts?  What's your favorite off this list?  Any new ideas?
post signature

2 comments:

  1. You could make a paper chain out of them and use it on your Christmas tree!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...