Saturday, July 28, 2012

US vs. UK Covers Part 1

I'm fascinated by the differences in book covers.  Whether it's UK vs. US covers, or paperback vs. hardcover, I like to compare, and try to figure out why the designers made the choices they did.  Here's a look at just some of the books with different US and UK covers.

US covers are on the right, and UK on the left.

US                vs.                UK

Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
At first glance, I thought the UK version was much, much cooler.  Now, when I have the US version sitting in front of me, I'm not so sure.  It's hard to tell from a screen, but if you look closely on the US version you can see some reddish splotches.  It looks like somebody spilled something on it, which has an interesting effect.  I like the US one better, as it has more of an old-fashioned feel to it.

US                vs.                UK

Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff
There's no question on this one.  I love the US cover.  The UK cover is almost a bit dull, and just doesn't have the same feel to it that the US one does. 

US                vs.                UK

Incarceron by Catherine Fisher
For me, this is another no-brainer.  The US cover screams "READ ME RIGHT NOW!", and the UK cover just doesn't have that.  The US cover is super-awesome, no? 

US                vs.                UK

Sapphique by Catherine Fisher
Yet another no-brainer.  I especially like how the US cover for this one matches up to the US cover of its prequel, Incarceron.  It's so easy to tell that they go together.  The UK cover for this is a bit better than the UK cover for Incarceron, but US still wins this one.


US                vs.                UK

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
This one is tough.  I definitely like the UK cover, but it has two big points against it.  The first is the emphasis on the Stephanie Meyer quote.  If I'm on the line about whether or not to read a book, the authors who are quoted on the cover will make or break the deal.  And I'm not a SMeyer fan.  The second point is that the US cover is much more boy-friendly.  It's hard enough to get boys to read about a female main character, and I don't think they like to walk around with a book featuring a girl on the cover.  So, US wins.


US                vs.                UK

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
Again, I like both of these covers.  UK wins in this case, though.  I love the purple background, even if it does have the exact same SMeyer quote as the first.

US                vs.                UK

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Again, another SMeyer quote.  At least it's a different one.  US wins, though, because I like the colors more. 

US                vs.                UK

Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick
I don't care for either of these covers.  The US one is a bit too creepy for my taste, though it's more boy-friendly.  The UK one is nice, but not very unique and easy to forget.  Tie.

US            vs.            UK          vs.          Australia

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
I had to pull in the Australian version of this (at least, I think that's the right one.  I might've mixed them up).  All three are pretty, and the UK one is a bit creepy.  I mean, why does she have white hair.  Still, I think the US one wins.

US                vs.                UK

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta
The US cover wins easily here.  While I like the stuff around the title on the UK cover, the sword is cooler.  And I like the lettering, too.  US wins.
 
US                vs.                UK

Gone by Michael Grant
US wins again.  The tagline is cool, and it's more interesting all around. 

US                vs.                UK

The Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams Chima
I like both of these, but the UK one is cooler.  The sword is more interesting, and it has a hint of magic to it.  UK wins.  Interestingly enough, the UK editions for the next three books in the series are the exact same as the US covers.

US                vs.                UK

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
I like the US cover, and how you can barely see Yelena.  It's mysterious.  I also like the UK cover, though.  Yelena has this I-just-went-through-an-entire-war-without-showering look, but I like the bottles in front of the open book.  It's cool.  UK wins.

And the score....
UK: 5
US: 3
(ties not counted)

For these books, at least, it looks like I much preferred the US covers.  Interesting. 

Stick around for part 2!

What about you?  Do you agree/disagree with my votes?  What are your favorite UK/US cover differences?
post signature

2 comments:

  1. I like the US covers more, too.

    In my opinion, the "Incaceron" and "Sapphique" covers are almost childish. They don't really have a YA feel to them.

    I really like the UK covers for "The Books of Bayern" by Shannon Hale. They're very colorful, but they give off a more fairy tale feel to the books, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Warrior Heir cover from the UK is so pretty! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...