Monday, July 30, 2012

US vs. UK Covers Part 2

In Part 1, I compared several UK covers to their US counterparts.  Since the post got longer than I intended, I split it up.  Here's the second half. 
US vs. UK

Graceling by Kristin Cashore
I like the US one, but the UK one wins, in this case. That girl definitely has an I'm-going-to-start-a-revolution look to her.


US vs. UK

Fire by Kristin Cashore
I like both covers here, again. My problem with the UK cover is that it's too similar to the UK cover of Graceling. It would be too easy to get them confused. The colors are too alike. US wins.


US vs. UK

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore
On the UK cover, Bitterblue almost looks like she's floating or something. Look at her feet! There's some weird photoshopping going on there. US wins.

US vs. UK

Divergent by Veronica Roth
I love both of these. The hawks are cool, but so is that fire. Tie.

US vs. UK

Insurgent by Veronica Roth
I love the green of the US cover, and the tree. US wins.


US vs. UK

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
I like the tagline on the UK cover, but the US one is definitely more intriguing. US wins.

US vs. UK

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
Both of these are awesome covers. The UK one is very unique, and I like the simplicity of the US cover. Tie again.


US vs. UK

Nevermore by Kelly Creagh
The guy's expression on the US cover bothers me. I love the purple of the UK cover, and how the author's name is on the book. UK wins.

US vs. UK

Eon: Dragoneye Reborn/The Two Pearls of Wisdom by Alison Goodman
Not only does this book have a different cover in the UK, it also has a different title. Both titles fit well. Eon is very to-the-point, and the UK title is a bit more...sophisticated. Still, I like the US cover better. Not only do I simply like the design more, but it fits the book better. The girl on the UK cover looks more contemplative than anything else. The girl on the US cover looks like someone who is ready to take down some bad guys.

US vs. UK

Eona: The Last Dragoneye/The Necklace of the Gods by Alison Goodman
US wins, easily. The US cover is one of my favorite covers of all time. I love it. It's even cooler in real life. Again, as with Eon, it's all about the cover model. The girl on the UK cover just looks like "I'm going to kill you", but the girl on the US cover looks like she's ready to take a stand against some evil powers, take down some armies, and overthrow a few tyrants.

And the final score (from both posts)....
UK: 5
US: 15
(ties not counted)

What are your thoughts on US vs. UK covers?

post signature

2 comments:

  1. The UK covers of "Graceling", "Fire", and "Bitterblue" look really similar. My personal favorite is "Fire." Something about the models' poses on the other two just seems off to me.

    I really like the UK cover of
    "Scorpio Races." It reminds me a little bit of the cover of "The Catcher in the Rye."

    I like that the UK cover of "Daughter of Smoke and Bone" is more simple, but I have to agree with you that the US cover is a little more eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the UK's cover of Graceling. Fire and Bitterblue aren't bad either, but they are too alike.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...