Thursday, September 27, 2012

Insurgent (Divergent #2) by Veronica Roth

One choice can transform you--or it can destroy you.

But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable--and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.

"New York Times" bestselling author Veronica Roth's much-anticipated second book of the dystopian "Divergent" series is another intoxicating thrill ride of a story, rich with hallmark twists, heartbreaks, romance, and powerful insights about human nature.


Released: May 1st, 2012     Pages: 525
Publisher: HarperTeen       Source: Bought (to celebrate my new job a few months ago.  Bought with my own money to celebrate the fact that I did indeed have money.  The more I think about this, the more contradictory it seems.)

First, I'm going to say things that have no place in a professional review.  But since I'm not a professional reviewer and have never claimed to be such, I'm going to say them.  Two things: 1. This book, when I take off the gorgeous hardcover jacket, is the exact same color as the sheets on my bed.  This just makes me feel like I really have my life put together. 

2. Why is Goodreads calling the third book "untitled", and why is there no cover?  The title is obviously Detergent, as the author has been calling it that on her blog for a good while now.  I saw the cover on her Tumblr, too.  Here it is:
One choice can disinfect you.
But I digress.  Anyway, the problem I had going into this was that I hadn't read Divergent in over a year, and I had forgotten some things.  This always raises red flags in my mind and makes me wary of a book.  I read Veronica Roth's "Guide to Remembering Stuff Before You Read Insurgent".  I suppose it helped.

I'm going to start off with my criticisms, because I like to end on a good note.  I liked Tris, as a character, when I wasn't mentally yelling at her to be rational.  I liked Tobias, too.  It was easy to see his backstory, and how his traumatic past affected him. 

I liked the pacing of this book, too.  It didn't slow down, and didn't leave me bored at all, that I can remember.  It was full of twists and turns.

Now on to the criticisms.  First, there are too many side characters in this series.  I had trouble keeping them all straight (something which is almost never a problem for me).  Why couldn't the author have combined some of them?  Second, I can't take a villain seriously if her name is Jeanine.  It just makes me think of Aunt Jemima. 

A more major problem was that for much of this book, I couldn't tell where the plot was going.  Not in the what-unexpected-twist-will-come-next? sense, but the I'm-really-not-sure-what-the-point-is sense.  There was conflict, yes, but what did Tris want?  What was she trying to accomplish, other than survival?  I didn't get a good sense of that. 

Some of the plot doesn't seem to come together.  For example...if Divergent are so rare (which is the impression I've been given), then how come they're suddenly popping up everywhere?  Actually, this could go either way, because I have a theory about this.  I'll reveal it when I read the final book in the series.

Why is everyone so afraid of Erudite?  Yes, they did bad things, and they're a bit scary.  But...has anyone been paying attention to Amity lately?  They freak me out.  Their ideals freak me out.  I mean, peace is wonderful, but the lengths they go to in order to keep the peace are seriously messed up. 

It looks like I have more criticisms than praise.  I guess this is true, to some extent.  Still, I enjoyed this book.  It seems like I didn't because I have much more specific dislikes than likes.  3.5 stars.  I'll read the sequel.

Finally, no review of a Divergent series book is complete without this:
Tris doesn't want to feel left out.


post signature

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I loved divergent as well, glad you enjoyed it. Great review : D Happy Blogging!

    regards,
    maycee of Themed Gift Baskets

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...