Monday, October 1, 2012

Every Day by David Levithan

A has no friends. No parents. No family. No possessions. No home, even. Because every day, A wakes up in the body of a different person. Every morning, a different bed. A different room. A different house. A different life. A is able to access each person's memory, enough to be able to get through the day without parents, friends, and teachers realizing this is not their child, not their friend, not their student. Because it isn't. It's A. Inhabiting each person's body. Seeing the world through their eyes. Thinking with their brain. Speaking with their voice.

It's a lonely existence--until, one day, it isn't. A meets a girl named Rhiannon. And, in an instant, A falls for her, after a perfect day together. But when night falls, it's over. Because A can never be the same person twice. But yet, A can't stop thinking about her. She becomes A's reason for existing. So each day, in different bodies--of all shapes, sizes, backgrounds, walks of life--A tries to get back to her. And convince her of their love. But can their love transcend such an obstacle?


Released:August 28th 2012    Pages: 336
Publisher: Knopf                    Source: Library
 
First Look: ***** I typically don't go for books that have romance as the main element of the story.  I get tricked into it all the time (pitches promise a book with action and suspense and such, but they end up being a bunch of romantic angst...Throne of Glass, Dreaming Anastasia, BitterblueI'm looking at you!), but I try to avoid it whenever I can.  Still, I picked this book up.  The premise was just too cool to resist.  Waking up in a different body every day?  How on earth will the author handle that one?  And so I picked up my first David Levithan novel.  And I'm glad I did.

Setting: ***** This is the only "meh" point of the novel.  It took me awhile to figure out where all of this stuff was happening.  Still, it wasn't that big of a deal.  I just want to know...why did A stay in one area?  Why didn't he/she (The main character, A, is neither male nor female.  He/she just...is.) move around all over the world? 

Characters: ***** David Levithan paints us a beautiful picture of someone who has been everyone.  It's an interesting situation, since A isn't really one definite main character, like we're used to reading about.  He/she is basically made up of experiences from other people's lives.  Levithan does a beautiful job portraying this.  Even though it was an unreal thing, it seemed so very real to me.

I also want to praise Levithan for his variety.  Every single person A "occupied", for lack of a better term, was different.  Each of them felt just as real as the last, and stood out in my mind.  They're all memorable, in some way or other. 

Plot: ***** Again, I don't usually read this type of book.  Romance isn't my thing.  But the storyline of this was amazing.  It was gorgeous.  It's utterly simple and vastly complex at the same time.  It's a small story, not world-shattering, but I feel like it encompasses the whole universe at the same time.

This is not making any sense.  Sorry about that.  I'm just so in love with this book that I'm not sure if there even are any sensible things I can say.

Uniqueness: *****
I've never read a book anything like this.

Writing: *****
The writing in this book is beautiful.  I don't know whether Levithan always writes like this, or if this particular book just lent itself to more poetic phrasing, but still.  It's awesome.  Levithan never writes any complex metaphors or uses any excessive wording or anything of the sort.  Instead, he writes something so simple and honest that it becomes beautiful.  Like:
“The moment you fall in love feels like it has centuries behind it, generations - all of them rearranging themselves so this precise, remarkable intersection could happen. In your heart, in your bones, no matter how silly you know it is, you feel that everything has been leading to this, all the secret arrows were pointing here, the universe and time itself crafted this long ago, and you are just now realizing it, you are just now arriving at the place you were always meant to be.”   
The entire novel is kinda like that. 
 
Likes: ...everything!
 
 
Not-so-great: I'm not sure whether I like or dislike this, but I don't know whether or not I understand the ending.  I feel like I get it, but at the same time I feel like I don't.  (Anyone care to share some thoughts on the ending?)
 
 
Overall: This is a beautiful, beautiful book.  (And you know I've read something good when all I can do is sit here and call it beautiful over and over.)  It's a marvelously written story and life, and love, and the powerful meaning of identity.  The characters are realistic, and I was feeling for them the entire time.  This book has a fantastic premise that was carried out well.  I love it when that happens!  Recommended for...people, everywhere.
post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...