Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Forever (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #3) by Maggie Stiefvater

then.

When Sam met Grace, he was a wolf and she was a girl. Eventually he found a way to become a boy, and their loved moved from curious distance to the intense closeness of shared lives.

now.

That should have been the end of their story. But Grace was not meant to stay human. Now she is the wolf. And the wolves of Mercy Falls are about to be kill in one final, spectacular hunt.

 
forever.

Sam would do anything for Grace. But can one boy and one love really change a hostile, predatory world? The past, the present, and the future are about to collide in one pure moment - a moment of death or life, farewell or forever.

Released: July 12th 2011          Pages: 388
Publisher: Scholastic Press      Source: Library
 
I will admit it.  I ended up liking this series more than I thought I would. 
 
If not for the magnificent experience I had reading The Scorpio Races, I would have never had interest in Shiver.  It looked like a Twilight rip-off, but with a different angle on the werewolves.  It looked like your typical sappy paranormal romance.  I read it because I had a thin hope that maybe, since Stiefvater wrote it, it would be good.
 
And it was.  Though I had my issues with Shiver and Linger, I still enjoyed them.  The series was more multi-faceted, darker, and frankly, more interesting than I expected.  And there was no love triangle.  I'm surprised that this series went through three books with no love triangle.  (Yay originality!)
 
Forever was a solid conclusion to the series.  The plot wrapped itself up in a way that was satisfying, yet didn't feel the need to explain every little detail of how it ended.  Some things are left unsaid, and I'm more than okay with that.  Sometimes it's annoying when writers reveal every little piece of info.  (Because, if I'm attached to the characters, the more I know, the more chance I have of getting mad because the author didn't let them get what I wanted them to get.)  I like open-endedness.
 
Speaking of characters...I liked these characters, for the most part.  Grace never quite clicked with me, and I always found her a bit flat.  Sam, though, was someone I could cheer for.  I loved Cole despite myself, and he was by far the most interesting character of the series.  Isabel was just...Isabel. 
 
I did have a few issues, however.  Mainly with Grace's relationship with her parents.  I won't go into detail, but during the Grace vs. parent scenes, Grace came off as whiny and spoiled and her parents came off and immature and clueless.  And also, the incorrect facts about Minnesota.  Forever did a better job being accurate than the first two, but still.  For example, the comment about how it probably isn't legal to hunt moose in MN.  Actually, it is legal.  Whenever you go to Timberlodge, there's a moose head staring you down.  One of my friends has a moose head hanging from a wall in her house (there's quite scary to stand under). 
 
 On an unrelated note, whenever I read the part of the inside jacket that says "he was a wolf and she was a girl", my brain goes to this: "He was a boy, she was a girl / Can I make it any more obvious?"  Though it's catchy, this is one of the most obvious lyrics I've ever seen.  He was a boy?  No, I thought he was a girl.  Thanks for clarifying, Avril. 
 
But, overall, I enjoyed this series.  Forever ended with just the right amount of closure and open-endedness.  I liked the characters, and the plot as a whole was more interesting than I expected.  It's not as good as The Scorpio Races, but still worth a read.


Similar Books: Auracle, Firelight, Unearthly

post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...