Sunday, March 3, 2013

Prodigy (Legend #2) by Marie Lu

June and Day arrive in Vegas just as the unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son Anden takes his place. With the Republic edging closer to chaos, the two join a group of Patriot rebels eager to help Day rescue his brother and offer passage to the Colonies. They have only one request—June and Day must assassinate the new Elector.

It’s their chance to change the nation, to give voice to a people silenced for too long.

But as June realizes this Elector is nothing like his father, she’s haunted by the choice ahead. What if Anden is a new beginning? What if revolution must be more than loss and vengeance, anger and blood—what if the Patriots are wrong?

In this highly-anticipated sequel, Lu delivers a breathtaking thriller with high stakes and cinematic action.


Released: January 29th 2013          Pages: 374
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile           Source: Library

This book's cover is gorgeous.  I love the color scheme, and basically just everything about it.  (S.H.I.E.L.D. logo, anyone?)  It fits the novel's mood so perfectly.

Upon opening this book, I found myself confronted with something awesome: half the text is in blue.  I don't know why I love this so much.  But how do I get my book printed in colors?  You'd think it would be hard to read, but it actually isn't.

When I read Legend, I didn't care for June as much as Day.  I liked her well enough, but for me, Day was who kept me really invested in the story.  In Prodigy, though, I think there's a lot of growth in June.  Her loyalties are constantly tested, and she reacts in a real, human way. 

Day, though, has been my favorite all along.  I love how his backstory shapes him, as a character.  His voice comes through so well in his point of view chapters.  (Another awesome part of this book, by the way.  A split POV that actually differentiates between the two characters' voices.)  The way he cares about his family and June makes him quite endearing. 

My only complaint is that the plot is on the generic side.  "Let's go take down the dystopian government!"  Because we've never heard that one before.  Still, what it may lack in uniqueness it makes up for in terms of awesome characters.

And now, the part I've been not wanting to talk about, yet is at the heart of my feelings about this book: THE ENDING.  That ending turned me into a mess of feels.  I can't even...  How can you do this to us, Marie Lu?

It's like that moment in Pokémon: The First Movie when Ash turns to stone.  And then Pikachu starts crying.  It's not even possible to handle a crying Pikachu.  Just like I can't even handle the ending of this book right now.

I respect Day so, so much for the choice he made.  It's horribly sad, but my respect for him has now gone through the roof.  Marie Lu, I'm waiting on the finale now.  I want him to be happy again!

Overall, I very much enjoyed this.  It lacks a little originality, but the characters are fabulous.  And the ending... *sob*  I really, really, really need the third book.  Why must I wait until 2014?



Similar Books: It has the revolutionary dystopian feel of The Hunger Games, Divergent, and The Always War.
post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...