Saturday, March 23, 2013

Prophecy, My Favorite Band Does Not Exist, and Necromancing the Stone Mini-Reviews

Prophecy (The Dragon King Chronicles #1) by Ellen Oh
The greatest warrior in all of the Seven Kingdoms... is a girl with yellow eyes.

Kira’s the only female in the king’s army, and the prince’s bodyguard. She’s a demon slayer and an outcast, hated by nearly everyone in her home city of Hansong. And, she’s their only hope...

Murdered kings and discovered traitors point to a demon invasion, sending Kira on the run with the young prince. He may be the savior predicted in the Dragon King Prophecy, but the missing treasure of myth may be the true key. With only the guidance of the cryptic prophecy, Kira must battle demon soldiers, evil shaman, and the Demon Lord himself to find what was once lost and raise a prince into a king.

Intrigue and mystery, ancient lore and action-packed fantasy come together in this heart-stopping first book in a trilogy.

Released: January 2nd 2013          Pages: 320
Publisher: HarperTeen                  Source: Library

I love how the tagline acts like having yellow eyes is something that would not make someone a terrifying warrior.  After reading the Pendragon series, anything with yellow eyes is terrifying.  Anything.   I think it's the ellipses that make the tagline a bit weird.  It's like that brilliance from My Immortal: "It was.............DUMBLEDORE!"*

Moving on.  This book has been described as Eon: Dragoneye Reborn meets Graceling.  Well, Eon is one of my absolute favorites and I enjoyed Graceling, so of course I had to get this.

The setting of this book was cool.  I tend to enjoy Asian-inspired fantasy novels, even though I've only read a few of them.  It makes for a unique twist on the standard high fantasy setting.  I also quite enjoyed the plot--though it moved way too fast, it was compelling.

My problem was with the characters.  I could never connect to them.  I felt like something about the way this was written kept me at a distance from them.  The narration gave us hardly anything about Kira's emotions.  I probably would've loved this book if I could have connected with the characters.




Similar Books: It has a similar setting (and other various similarities) to Eon: Dragoneye Reborn.  It also has the Asian-ness of Silver Pheonix, and reads a lot like Graceling.

 
My Favorite Band Does Not Exist by Robert T. Jeschonek

Sixteen-year-old genius Idea Deity believes that he exists only in the pages of a novel written by a malevolent, omnipotent author . . . and that he will die in chapter 64. Meanwhile, an older teen named Reacher Mirage sings lead vocals for the undercover rock band Youforia . . . a band that exists in Idea’s world only as an Internet hoax that Idea himself perpetuated. Then there’s beautiful and mysterious Eunice Truant, who links their destinies. When Idea and Reacher plunge into the reality of Fireskull’s Revenant, the twisted epic fantasy novel they’ve both been reading, chapter 64 bears down on them like a speeding freight train on an unstoppable collision course. Being trapped in a bad book can be a nightmare. Just ask Idea Deity.

Released: July 11th 2011          Pages: 336
Publisher: Clarion Books         Source: Library

Being trapped in a bad book can be a nightmare.  Just ask An--wait.  That's not my name on the inside cover?  Oh.  (And I'm still not convinced the back cover won't murder me.  I need to get this out of the house.)

So, again with the "being trapped in a bad book" thing.  Was Fireskull's Revenant, the novel "inside" of My Favorite Band Does Not Exist (I know, it's all very Inception), supposed to be a bad book?  I'd feel much better if the answer was yes, because I didn't enjoy reading about those parts.

I didn't particularly enjoy the rest of it, either.  The idea was awesome--a hugely popular band that's actually an internet hoax, a teenager with a disorder that makes them believe they are a fictional character, etc.  I loved the ways the stories intertwined, but that's about all I liked.

The rest of it was just...bizarre.  I have a high tolerance for weirdness in books, but there's weirdness, and then there's...random weirdness.  This weirdness made no sense and was jarring.  So many lines popped up like this: "Eurydice pulled a dodo bird burger out of the bag and tossed it on the bed beside him."  This was me:
 
Lines like this were incredibly disorienting.  I understand that this was an alternate reality, but this came out of nowhere and I spent five minutes being confused.  And also, the writing was awkward and repeated itself over and over.


Similar Books: It has the same ideas of disjointed reality as The Marbury Lens or Every Day, to a lesser extent.  It also reminds me of The Obsidian Blade.

Necromancing The Stone (Necromancer #2) by Lish McBride

With the defeat of the evil Douglas behind him, Sam LaCroix is getting used to his new life. Okay, so he hadn’t exactly planned on being a powerful necromancer with a seat on the local magical council and a capricious werewolf sort-of-girlfriend, but things are going fine, right?

Well . . . not really. He’s pretty tired of getting beat up by everyone and their mother, for one thing, and he can’t help but feel that his new house hates him. His best friend is a werebear, someone is threatening his sister, and while Sam realizes that he himself has a lot of power at his fingertips, he’s not exactly sure how to use it. Which, he has to admit, is a bit disconcerting.

But when everything starts falling apart, he decides it’s time to step up and take control. His attempts to do so just bring up more questions, though, the most important of which is more than a little alarming: Is Douglas really dead?


Released: September 18th 2012                Pages: 344
Publisher: Henry Holt & Company          Source: Library

My only major problem with this book was all the characters.  There were a lot of characters, and many of them I didn't remember from when I read the first book a year ago.  The author didn't really remind us who some of them were, which might have been nice.  And many of the names were very similar and got me confused.  Do we really need a Brid and a Bridget? 

Other than that, I enjoyed this book.  I like our main cast of characters--Sam, Ramon, and the others.  Who really interests me, though, is James.  He was a very well-developed character, and I'm eager to see how he changes in the next book.  And I felt bad for him.

This is a very mini review, because I don't have much else to say.  I enjoyed this.  It doesn't creep me out like it seems to do for other people, but I still like it.


Similar Books: It's got the same quirky paranormal feel as Infinity (which also involves the undead), or Thirteen Days to Midnight (though it's nowhere near as dark).  It also shares some elements with Raven's Gate.
 
Side Note: There's a massive shipping war (because March means everything that can go in brackets does go in brackets.  Even ships.) going on over at 3 Chic Geeks.  I'm telling you this because you NEED to vote for Eowyn/Faramir (who are currently getting crushed by 10th Doctor/Rose, which is not cool with me) and Clintasha, who is behind Romione right now.  Seriously, people?  Romione over Clintasha?  NO.  Not that most of my favorites haven't already been voted out (and Jon/Dany wasn't even an option!). 
post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...