Monday, April 29, 2013

Light (Gone #6) by Michael Grant

It's been over a year since all the adults disappeared. Gone.

In the time since everyperson over the age of fourteen disap-peared from the town of Perdido Beach, California, countless battles have been fought: battles against hunger and lies and plague, and epic battles of good against evil. And now, the gaiaphage has been reborn as Diana's malicious mutant daughter, Gaia. Gaia is endlessly hungry for destruction. She yearns to conquer her Nemesis, Little Pete, and then bend the entire world to her warped will. As long-standing enemies become allies, secrets are revealed and unexpected sacrifices are made. Will their attempts to save themselves and one another matter in the end, or will the kids of Perdido Beach perish in this final power struggle?

Light, the sixth and final book in the New York Times bestselling Gone series by Michael Grant, creates a masterful, arresting conclusion to life in the FAYZ.


Released: April 2nd 2013                         Pages: 411
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books          Source: Library

When my library copy of this came in:


I've been with this series since 2009.  And I've loved every bit of it.  First, though, we need to talk about that cover.  Where did they find nice, clean clothes?  I doubt it's easy to find clean clothes in the FAYZ (though I really like Diana's top).  They also look a little too clean in general to have come out of the FAYZ.  Also, I have no picture here, but I'm pretty sure Edilio is on the back cover.  Um...wow.  He should've just taken over the entire front cover because he is gorgeous.  Ahem. 

A tagline for the first book was This is the way the world ends.  Well, this is the way the FAYZ ends. And it's epic.  And tragic.  And creepy and scary and exciting and everything you'd expect from a Gone novel.  It has dark moments, and moments where the true heroism of the characters shines through. 

It takes a few chapters to works its way to full steam ahead, but once it gets going, it doesn't stop.  At this point, I was completely addicted to reading it, because I wanted so badly to know how they escaped.  If they even escaped at all.  And if they did, how they would recover, how they'd function in their world again. 

There are some truly marvelous character moments.  This book stretches everyone to their limit, and Michael Grant gave us some awesome moments of depth for many of the characters.  I love the evolution of Sam and Astrid's relationship.  Sam's ever-present guilt.  Dekka's undying, unrequited love.  Diana's acceptance of her mistakes.  Edilio's emergence as a calm, quiet, steady leader. 

One of my favorite moments is Caine's redemption. 

“Sam’s probably out there somewhere being his usual heroic self,” Caine said. “I can’t let that boy save the world all alone. I’d never live it down.”

Caine has been a nasty person for as long as we can remember.  And yet, there's something he does at the very end.  Something that affects everyone in the FAYZ.  A burden that he takes for all of the rest.  I think, more than anyone else, Caine was the true savior of the kids of the FAYZ.  He rescued them from a future they didn't deserve, and I respect him for that.


The ending is truly sad.  None of these kids will ever be the same again, and they know it.  They've seen too much ever to truly fit into their world again.  They'll always be haunted by it, and the beauty of this series is that I feel for them.  I've grown attached to all of these characters, despite their sheer numbers. 

This was an awesome finale to the series.  It didn't disappoint.  I'm sad to leave this series behind, and all its characters.  Maybe I'll have to do a reread.
 

Random thought: Diana and Loki should form an Awkard Mother's Day Club. Diana and Gaia, and Loki and Sleipnir could celebrate together and bask in all the awkwardness.


Similar Books: It has the kids-in-enclosed-space aspect of Lord of the Flies, Monument 14, Variant, and more.  It's reminiscent of The Marbury Lens in that it's gritty and sometimes you think "This author is just plain sick."  It has a Left Behind vibe to it (the YA version, at least...I've never read the adult version of the series).
post signature

1 comment:

  1. I started reading this series a while ago, but high school came around and my life was taken over by evil minions. Now I really want to finish it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...