Monday, June 17, 2013

What You Should Do To Make Sure You Keep Following Once Google Reader Is Gone

I'm a latecomer to the Google-Reader-is-going-away thing.  If you don't know, Google Reader is going away July first.  I have never used Google Reader, so at first I didn't think anything of it.  But I was doing a little research to see what I could do to help my current followers out, and I was a bit like this:

The more I read, though, the less horrible it seems.  There are many options that you can use instead of Google Reader.  If any of you even do use it, which I don't know. 

The best option to make sure you stay updated with this blog (and others as well) is following by email.  All you have to do is type your email address into the box on the left sidebar.  (I even moved it so it's more obvious.)  It's above the search box, and it says "follow by email".  You'll get a message asking you to confirm your subscription.  Once you've done that, you'll get instant updates whenever I post something, right in your inbox.  So it's basically a more efficient way to internet-stalk me.  Okay, not really. 

Another popular option is to use a reader like Feedly or Bloglovin'.  Just to try it out, I downloaded Feedly.  In less than thirty seconds, I had downloaded it onto Chrome, and entered my Google password, and all my subscriptions (via the Blogger dashboard and GFC) had been switched.  It's ridiculously easy.  There are also things you can do like organize blog updates by category and so on, but I haven't tried it much. 

There doesn't seem to be a consensus on what will happen to Google Friend Connect once Google Reader is gone.  This is most concerning for me, since I use it almost completely to follow blogs.  If I find out more information, I'll let you know.  Otherwise, you might want to follow me by email, just to be on the safe side. 

To recap, or for those of you who took one look and said TL;DR: Google Reader is going away.  You can follow by email in the box on the left, or you can use a service like Feedly, which you can set up with no trouble and very little time.

I leave you with this GIF of Loki playing table tennis.  Because...I wanted to.

post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...