Sunday, November 3, 2013

Whoa...What Happened Here?

So.  It looks different.  

I figured it was time for a redesign.  I was getting sick of the old one.  All the Microsoft Paint was starting to bug me, mostly because it's been there almost forever.  The sidebars also were getting on my nerves, because I disliked how narrow they made all my posts.  

And so I embarked on a journey to redo the entire layout.  Except that it was less of a journey and more tinkering with this HTML, messing with this image, etc. etc. etc.  More like poking at it with a stick than going on an epic quest.  It's been in the works for a few months now, but I put it together in small pieces so it took awhile.

I thought I was going to run into all kinds of trouble when I actually implemented the new design, but I only encountered minor problems.  This concerns me, actually.  Now I'm wondering if the whole site is going to explode in the next few days or something.

The splatter-paint background was taken from a scanned sheet of paper, on which I'd, well, splatter painted.  I have a set of "pens" that aren't really calligraphy pens, but I don't know what else to call them.  They're pen-shaped pieces of glass that you dip into ink in order to write.  I don't remember exactly why I used them to splatter paint--I think that sheet came from when I first got the pens and wanted to play with them.  It worked for the blog, so I used it.  

Everything else was, quite literally, assembled in Microsoft Paint.  To quote Jennifer Lawrence, "Because I am an artist."  All I really did was use Paint to add the text over the background.  Because that's totally how the pros do it.  After making all of the images, I made a test blog and played around with everything until it looked right.  I'm half-tempted to make this test blog public (right now, it's set to private) and offer a prize to whoever can find it.  Locating it might be possible if you know me well enough, but it would still take a huge amount of guesswork, so it's not likely to happen.

What else is going to be different around here?  Well, nothing.  My posts will stay the same, because even though the look has changed, my personality hasn't.  So it'll still be random and prone to the occasional rant.  Yay, I suppose, if you enjoy that.  (If you don't, why are you still here?)

And now it's connected to Google+!  Whatever that means!  You can put this blog in circles now.  Like Dante.  Because that's absolutely what Google was going for when they created Google+.

One thing in particular I'd like to point out is the new writing page.  The old page had an archive of all of my posts on writing, but it hadn't been updated in months.  I completely updated it and reorganized everything, so hopefully it's easier to find anything in particular you might be looking for.  It's also worth pointing out that the quote on the top of the right sidebar changes when you refresh the page.  *braces for onslaught of pageview counts*

Now, it's like...

I told myself I wasn't going to post that.  But, when it came down to it, I couldn't help it.

That's about all I can say about the redesign.  Thoughts?  I'm not sure what else to post, but I feel like there should be something, so here is an awesome song.

PS: If the icon (in your browser tab for this page, to the left of the page title) still shows up as the old icon with the tiny stack of books, and you care about things like that, the new icon should show up if you clear your browser cache.


3 comments:

  1. I do rather love the new background. The whole design really :P I did a bit of a double take when I arrived though XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I suppose it would be a little disorienting to be expecting the site to look a certain way, and then to come and find it looking totally different.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness! You're right, it is like a whole new world. (And I love Aladdin so much!) It looks really cool. I love how bright the blue splatters are against the white.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...