Thursday, August 14, 2014

Macbeth In GIFs

Last fall, when I was trudging my way through a massive essay on Shakespeare's Macbeth, I found myself thinking, "It would be awesome if I could clarify some of my points with a GIF."  Because that's how my brain works.  While there was no way to work GIFs into my essay, that particular thought process resulted in a crude retelling of the entire play.  Somehow.  I'm not even sure how it happened.  

It sat in my drafts for months, like many of my weird mid-essay musings.  I couldn't help being irrationally proud of it, though, so it's been up on Goodreads for awhile.  But today I found myself in need of a blog post, with nothing else anywhere near completion.  And so it was decided that I should just go for it.  

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present A Thing You Probably Didn't Want But Are Going To Get Anyway: Macbeth, in GIFS.

Witches:

King Duncan to Macbeth:

Macbeth to King (secretly):

Lady Macbeth:

Macbeth:


Lady Macbeth to Macbeth:

Macbeth to Duncan:

Duncan: 

Everyone:

Malcom and Donalbain:

Macbeth:

Macbeth to Banquo:

Macbeth:

Fleance:

Malcolm to Macduff:


Macduff and Malcom:

Macbeth: 

Lady Macbeth:

Lady Macbeth:

Macbeth:
Army:

Macbeth:

Macbeth:
Witches:

Everyone:


And now, textual clarification, in case the GIFs were ambiguous:
Witches: Some shenanigans are about to go down.  We might or might not have caused them.
King Duncan to Macbeth: You rock, dude.
Macbeth to King (secretly): Yo Duncan, I'm really happy for you, and I'mma let you finish, but I'mma kill you.
Lady Macbeth: *shredding guitar solo*  Off with their heads!
Macbeth: Wait...now I'm not so sure...to regicide or not to regicide?
Lady Macbeth to Macbeth: Wuss.  Make up your mind.
Macbeth to Duncan: Sure, why not?  YOLO.  *stabs Duncan*
Duncan: [I'm not sure how that GIF can be any clearer.]  Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Everyone: WHAT JUST HAPPENED I CAN'T EVEN
Malcom and Donalbain: Enough of this.  We're out.
Macbeth: Kneel, peasants.  I am Macbeth of Scotland and I am now king because of reasons.
Macbeth to Banquo: I KEEL YOU.
Macbeth: WAT IS LIFE
Fleance: *goes the way of Malcom and Donalbain, which is away*
Malcolm to Macduff: Can I trust you?  
Macduff and Malcom: Watch your back, Macbeth.
Macbeth: *angsts like Harry Potter in book five*
Lady Macbeth: I have made a terrible mistake.
Lady Macbeth: *dies a suspiciously ambiguous death*
Macbeth: [Again, there's no need to clarify this.]
Army: *random army of trees appears out of nowhere*
Macbeth: What in the name of Bucky Barnes is going on?
Macbeth: *is now dead*
Witches: LOL, my bad.
Everyone: *sighs and starts wiping up the blood*

If you haven't left yet, please know that you can read the real Macbeth for free right here.  If you want to watch it, I'd recommend this intense and creepy Patrick Stewart version.  Unless the GIFs are enough for you, and in that case...

*clumsily sneaks out of room*

post signature

5 comments:

  1. Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift. Obat Diabetes Murah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. obatpenyakitkankerhatitradional: I'm a bit confused; what issue are you talking about that is being brought "to light"?

      Annie: I think this is a great article; I've yet to read Macbeth, but I was still able to understand the gist of it, so I don't think it was crude at all. Keep up the good work!

      Delete
    2. Emily, thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it! And the obatpenyakitkankerhatitradisional seems to be just a spam comment. I get those every so often--people will sometimes post short, semi-relevant (but not really) comments to give themselves a reason to include a link to their site or product. In this case, it looks like they're selling some sort of alternative cancer treatment. It's not worth their time, in this case.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...