Saturday, August 30, 2014

The Future of This Blog (and Me, and Humanity in General)

By the time you read this, I'll have moved into my college dorm for the first time.

While it makes no difference in your daily life, it's a big deal for me.

This blog is also a big deal for me.

I'm not sure what will happen when these two big deals crash into one another.  It'll be my first time studying at a university, so I have no idea how much homework I'll have, and consequently, how much time I'll have for blogging.  Or even reading, which freaks me out.  It's exciting, but I don't know what to expect.

Sometimes I feel a bit like this dog.
Don't get me wrong--this is, in no way, a goodbye letter.  I'm not stopping blogging, reviewing, reading, writing, or any of the other things I do.  I still hope to be able to continue posting.  I'm telling you all this, though, to explain why I will most likely be absent in the next few weeks, or why posting might be sporadic.  Again, I just don't know how much time I will have, so until then, posting will be uncertain.

It's a step into the unknown, but it's also exciting.  I plan to double major in English with an emphasis on writing (approximate number of people who have been surprised by this: zero) and Communications & Journalism.  Communications & Journalism (commonly referred to as CoJo) is one major, the result of combining two departments into one in 2007.

At this point, my ultimate goal is to become a full-time novelist.  Since I am rather fond of not starving, though, I have to give myself another means of getting a job, since I know how few writers actually achieve this.  In that case, I'd love to work in editing and publishing, preferably with novels.  Maybe I'll even become a literary agent (since the idea of reading through a slush pile actually sounds fun to me).  Maybe I'll switch to screenwriting and work on Marvel phase 12.  Maybe I'll win the lottery and spend the rest of my life on a quest to break the world record for the number of books read by one person in one lifetime.

Basically, everything is up in the air right now, which is both cool and intimidating.  I'm excited to move in and start my classes.  I'll be sure to keep you updated, especially later in my studies, if I get the opportunity to have any writing-related internships or jobs.  Until then, though...college, here I come!



Have you started the new school year yet?  Is anybody else also just starting college?

*I may have lied about the "humanity in general" part of the post title, but I liked how it sounded.  While I'm here, though, here are some predictions/thoughts about the future of the human race:
  1. Sherlock series 4 might come out in the next 25 years.
  2. The Yellowstone Volcano will probably not erupt in the near future, despite the fact that it's thousands of years overdue.  Which is a fact that should probably concern more people than it does.
  3. Some scientist will eventually figure out how to recreate live dinosaurs, despite the fact that we have both Jurassic Park and Spy Kids telling us why this is a horrible idea.
  4. A "Civil Rights for Pluto" movement will begin.  Protests will happen solar system-wide.  It will be epic.
post signature

4 comments:

  1. Hey Annie,

    Good luck in college! The first year is always scary but I'm sure you'll have the time of your life! (I just started my sophomore year of college. Where did time go?)

    And good luck in everything else. I, myself, am a Creative Writing major (yes, it's a thing at my school and the program is the best!) with a minor in Chemistry (what can I say, it's like potions in real life). I hope to work in the editing field because I love editing, so maybe one day we'll meet each other! So here's to us writers! Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your classes! It's cool that your school has a creative writing major. Maybe someday we will encounter each other in our editing work!

      Delete
  2. Cool! I am off on my first year of college, too! (You may remember me from the last post. I'm the one with the Early/Med Britain class.)

    I hope you have fun in your classes. I actually decided I want to be an archaeology/anthropology major. Even though I'm a writer, I figure if I have to have a day job, it should speak to my second love (besides writing): mysterious ancient objects and becoming that learned, sagacious mentor who appears in most epic fantasy novels. And also, when you're writing other worlds and high fantasy, it's nice to know a little bit about this world's different cultures, so you can make up your own cultures that much better.

    Anyways, have fun! I hope you do have time for reading, writing and blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archaeology and writing seem like a good mix; old objects have so many stories behind them, so you get the best of both worlds. If nothing else, you'll get a lot of writing inspiration!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...